Shaved Doors.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Boondock Saint DX

i have a dx so will i have to weld a metal strip where the trim was and also paint the metal strip??? could i just paint the trim instead of doing all that??? i dont have the materials to weld and paint....

thanks

mine are done on my CRX. done with sheetmetal and a lot of time and $$ to do right, I say paint the trim unless you wanna spend the resources to do it. I have entirely too much money in my car though...

I've seen several try it, and I've seen several fail.

On my CRX, I removed the trim and filled the trim holes (not the entire body line, just the little square holes.

If I could do it again, though, I would paint the car and replace the trim with new stuff.

just get yourself a little miller mig and a sanding block and get after it......

nothing better then stepping away from the crowd and doing it right while doing so......

no thats the point....no experience at all..but i can prolly find some people who could help me in my area...

shaving done right = time and money
replacing and painting the trim = easier/cheaper way to go

you choose. not to mention if you ever ruin a door of your car and need to replace, someone will have to do it all over again. This is coming from a guy who has already been down that road.

You basically have a few options here, and you CAN get around ewelding here as well. Either take the trimming off the doors, sand it with about 600 grit, use some plastic adhesion promoting primer, sand it again same grit and paint it, OR. You can take the trim panels off, use small pieces of metal and use what is known as panel adhesive from a bodyshop store to put backing over the holes in the paneling for the clips, bondo the indent to surface, puddy the inmperfections, prime and paint... if you do, shave your doorhandles at the same time, saves painting twice, and smooth is hot! haha

JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT .............ANY FLEX OR GIVE FROM THIS STUFF WILL BREAK ANYTHING YOU USE AS THE BODY FILLER.....!

dont do it, me anjd a few of my friends tried it on his DA teggy, and it sucked. we only had 1 period a day to getit finished , so we never did finish it and it looked like crap. just paint the trim, it about 12345678909876543123 times easier and faster. keep in mind we have fab. & welding experience. i'm painting the trim on my hatch. oh, BTW, do any of you know if i had to "da" the trim and the stock bumpers before i hit em with primer?

can you press a spray can nozzle? Then yeah, patients is all you need. Spray in thin coats, numerous times, and allow time for paint to flash, or become dry on surface between coats. Thinner coats adhere better, don't run, resist chipping and scratching better, and leave a smoother finish.

When painting anything plastic be sure to sand the surface THOUROUGHLY, and use a special plastic adhesion primer, it'll help you alot! If you are painting over paint, simply scuff the existing paint to a no shine finish and lay paint overtop. If you have any repairs, like on a bumper, sand the ENTIRE THING, fill nicks or chips with puddy, sand clean, PRIME over the filler, sand again, and paint. If you do not lay primer over filler when something is mostly painted you will get "mirroring" which is where some of the colorcoat will sink into the filler leaving a dull and slightly different colour in that location, and it will look worse then leaving the chips there in the first place!

Also be sure on andthing bare plastic to clean this off before sanding with a tar and grease remover. The bumper may look clean, but when they are manufactured in a mold they spray mold release in first, which is basically grease. This helps them get the bumpers out after they are hardened in the mold. If the bumper was not painted immediatly, or you bought aftermarket parts they most likely will not have taken this first step in preparing the bumper for finish.

Back