Shift Knob rattle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I recently purchased and installed a B&M Short Shifter. The installation went smooth as it could have gone. I had help from my dad who is pretty familiar with cars considering he grew up racing/building on them. During which, NEW bushings were provided AND installed. Anycrap, I dont know EXACTLY where the noise/rattle comes from. Either the shift knob itself or the entire shifter. It only rattles when I am not on the gas. For instance, if i am on the highway and i am just cruising and i let off the gas without hitting brakes to slow down a little, it rattles. it does NOT do it when the car is in neutral at anytime, rolling or standing still. I was thinking of buying a heavier shift knob, maybe thats the cause. I am certain that the installatiopn of the B&M went smooth correct because it came with directions that we followed to a "T". Thanks for anyones input.

YES, if i hold it, it stops. I don't even HAVE to HOLD it persay. I can just place my finger on it ad it quits. Tell me whyyyyyy :(

dumb question: is the shift knob screwed in/on tightly? that could cause rattling if its not sitting on the shifter properly.

yes, the shift knob is tightened ALL the way down. Thats the same question my dad asked me and i went and made sure it was. I tightened it till i couldn't anymore using my hands and without srtipping it. And there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :ph34r:

The reason it rattles is because it and the knob you are useing are lighter then stock. When the factory designs the shifter and knob they are balanced in weight in order to reduce vibration. And stay quite for normal consumers. When you upgrade for preformance the luxuray of no vibration goes out the door. All shifters I have seen vibrat and make noise. If you use a heavery shift knob it will reduce the vibration. I have a short shifter with a Type R billet knob and there is very little vibration noise but it is still there.

hmmmm, that's sounds like a load of malarky to me- haha just kidding homie- ya know, before i cut back my girlfriends heatshield in her integra the short throw was rattling against it- just an idea?

It may be rubbing on the exhaust itself, since the short shifter hangs lower than the stock, just a thought

No problems at all with my DC Sports shifter.

Sometimes if it's rubbing on the heatshield or exhaust section a muffler shop can bend the hanger slightly to shift contact point away from the butt end of the shifter. Thats what we did in my friends civic.

Back