Shifting @ wat RPM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 Si with a fuel regulator (rich), stage 2 clutch (clutchmasters), and cat-back exhaust. What rpms are ideal to launch at and to shift? (redlines at 8k rpm)

for what? dragging at the track or daily driving?

dragging at the track- 7700 rpm
daily driving I rev it out to 3500 when cold and anywhere between 4500-5500 when I don't need to use VTEC but don't want to early shift myself.

come on people how can you ask somebody when to shift.......
you have to know and feel what can your car do, just keep your stock revlimiter and shift were you want,

..............you shift to the nex gear up or down when you feel that your car is not pulling any more...... just go out and try playing with your car, that's the best way to see, and about lounching it depends what kind of cluch you have and what kind of tires and wheels you runing,

just go and see what's best for you,

Originally posted by Sergey P.A.@Mar 25 2004, 01:43 AM
word of advice never trust somebody untill you try and see it,

:werd:

but my shift points are what I'm comfortable with and I'm to the point now that I can tell where the engine is without staring at the tach.

Here are my shifting points, for each setting:

On the road, smooth driving. I shift not judged by where the needle is when I make my shift, but by where it will fall when I engage the next gear. My car does smooth, leisurely shifts at 3000 rpm. So, I'll bring the tach to 4000 rpm, make the shift, and when the clutch is engaged I'll be at 3000 rpm.

At autocross. I have the shift indicator (Sunpro tach with moving redline collar) set at 6400 rpm. When I enter a turn, I shift when the needle reachs my "red line". That way I engage the next gear, I'm hitting the outside of a turn at 3800 rpm. So I'll be in my power band, but not at the peak of the power band (If I give it power at peak, the car will lose traction and I'll lose the corner)

Drifting / Drag. I shift slightly before the redline set. That way, on my next gear I'll catch 3500 rpm exactly, which is where the power band peaks. The result is a thrown-in-your-seat kind of acceleration pull. Perfect for kicking the ass end out in a RWD at drift, or catching the perfect shift during a drag.

Read this next line, then go back and read what i have already typed. My engine is the D15 DPFI with a 4 speed. It's the STD model of Civic hatch, with a high-geared mechanical clutch 4 speed. That means that each shift I make drops the tach down 2000 rpm. My power band is 2500 rpms long, so if I push it to the extreme limits of it's power band, than I'll actually MISS the power during the next higher gear. So I back it off before the power band is gone, so my next gear catches the power band from it's bottom troff. The transmission is truly an HF trans, with a missing top gear.

-> Steve

I shift around 3000-4000 around town, and launch around 4000 and shift at 8000 when racing around. But that's just me.

ok my friend has a 99 si and well he lauches at 7 but thats because he doesnt have a clutch is his is blown out but probably like 4500 thru 5000 and shifting well those gears are so fucking long u can leave it in 3rd and cross the damn line but he doesnt shift until 8200

Originally posted by mjfubar@Apr 8 2004, 07:31 PM
ok my friend has a 99 si and well he lauches at 7 but thats because he doesnt have a clutch is his is blown out but probably like 4500 thru 5000 and shifting well those gears are so fucking long u can leave it in 3rd and cross the damn line but he doesnt shift until 8200

:emofo:

99-00 Si gearing is short...it's not long...

Originally posted by mjfubar@Apr 9 2004, 01:31 AM

Damn, grammar and punctuation own jOO huh?

That's the guy with that stupid fucking str8four.com site. The guy with the Si he's talking about ran 16's with mods. :lol:

near my house so my parents dont think im beating on my car-2500
farther from my house where they cant hear me 3000-4000
racing-
launch 3000-3500
shift at 8500

:wtf2:
and what kind of moron launches at 7000rpm in a civic? i wouldnt be suprised if he ran a 27, if i tried launching that high my wheels would start smoking and I wouldnt go anywhere. :whatafucktard: :fr: its kids like that that it takes 27 revs to 7000 to get out of a parking spot.

some apparently bottom of the line yokohamas 195/50-r15s is all I can remember, they were on the car when I bought it... I'm going to try B's suggestion of Azenis 205/50s when the time comes to replace these. I don't have any complaints with these tires, I can get traction unless I overrev from a start.

i launch and shift at 8500 at all times
doesnt matter what gear im in
doesnt matter if im racing or not
doesnt matter if there is a cop right next to me
8500 AT ALL TIMES

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Apr 17 2004, 05:28 PM
i launch and shift at 8500 at all times
doesnt matter what gear im in
doesnt matter if im racing or not
doesnt matter if there is a cop right next to me
8500 AT ALL TIMES

Everyone should follow this advice.