Should I take the plunge?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
I've been searching for a used car now for honestly about a year and a half. Throughout that time, I've changed what desires and preferences I had in a car and I've looked at atleast half a dozen different model cars.

I've come to the conclusion that I want a WRX. It has the speed, power, and handeling abilities in a car that I desire plus the daily driveability. I'm not a tuner by any means and frankly am mechanically retarded since I don't have the garage/tools/experience to have ever worked on any of my cars. If I buy the car and decide to mod it, it would be new up pipe/down pipe, spings, struts, bigger brakes, rear sway bar, and a reflash of the cobb stage 1 chip.

Here's the dilema. I test drove a 2002 Subaru Impeza WRX in WRB the other day that just hit 24,000 miles. The car is a lease vehicle thats had the same owner, a twenty something male, since it drove off the lot. The car will wind up costing me $14,750 before tax/title/registartion.

I would have to finance a portion of the car and the title is currently in the Leasing Companies name. I need a car ASAP and don't want to have to wait until a title is released from a leasing company so I can register and drive the car. I don't know of any other way to get the title. We can't both go to a subby dealership because they won't have a title on hand and he and I both work like dogs during the week so there's no time this week to go even if we called ahead.

He says he garaged the car for most of its life and pretty much used it to commute from his house to his families house and didn't really take advantage of having the car. When I drove the car, I loved it. Its been keyed on the rear quarter panel but its not that bad and really doesn't bother me that much. He said he was quoted $500-600 by a reputable body shop to fix it but its not that great of concern. Other then that, he has 3 tiny tiny dimples on the back door on the driver's side from someone who must have let their door hit his in a community garge. They're only noticeable at certain angles and practically non existant. Other then those small things, I did not see a flaw with the car cosmetically.

The one bad thing I found, was that the car needs an alignment. It pulls too much to the right and so far thats been chalked up to the kid having aftermarket springs, 18in OZ's, and low profile tires.

The car has lightly been modded. It had springs and it currently has rims, when I receive the car it would be with the stockers the 16in alloys back on. The car also has some small things like a kartboy short shifter kit, cusco front swaybar, stock headlights that have been customized, clear corners, blitz exhaust, and cobb stage 1 chip. Do you think these parts would have voided the warranty? The kid has all stock parts and I would receive the car with the stock exhaust and stock rims, while he keeps those two aftermarket parts. I'm not sure if i should be weary. He drove the car quickly when I asked him to drive for a test drive but he didn't rev the car up and dump the clutch or drive stupidly, just into high RPMs like the car was designed.

The car is going to be looked at by a mechanic tomorrow, but unfortunately its not my personal mechanic since his shop is closed and all three of the Subby dealerships near me are booked up. I'm not sure how familiar this mechanic will be with WRX's.

My current car had problems the other day probably with a blown pressure plate because I was driving along and after about an hour ride I couldn't get the car to go into gear. I need a car. I'm hoping the mechanic will give it the okay, I'm just at a loss of what to do. The parents are trying to convince me to lease or persuade me away from the car, even though I'm a big boy at 20, they just don't want to see my money go for a ride. They haven't seen the car yet and for some reason are hesistant of it. Now they're giving me the jitters and I don't know what the hell to do.

Should I try and wait for a better deal to come along, even though I've been searching for a year and half now and I can make the payment on the car easily or do I go for it? All the paperwork with me getting a loan and dealing with the leasing company to get the title of the car seems like a pain in the ass and scares me.

Someone reassure me here and tell me that I'm getting a good deal and not going to wind up getting screwed. I really want the car and I really want it to check out, I just don't want to wind up with a $15,000 heap.

Buy this?

Lease?

Look to an econo box car and put myself through school?

Other?
///end long day of driving myself crazy rant.

WRX.

Modded.

Big Rims

Bad Alignment

20something year old...

And you believe he was nice to it?? Its a 2002.. It should be in MINT condition. Maybe a door ding or two, but thats it.

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 20 2005, 10:31 AM
WRX.

Modded.

Big Rims

Bad Alignment

20something year old...

And you believe he was nice to it?? Its a 2002.. It should be in MINT condition. Maybe a door ding or two, but thats it.
[post=542793]Quoted post[/post]​

...and thats the condition its in. Keep in mind that this car is now almost 4 years old especially with when model years come out. The car was keyed which he obviously couldn't help and other than that it has three dimples that I couldn't even pick out until he showed me looking at them from a certain angle.

Update, mechanic just looked at it and said it was a nice car. He told me he was jealous of me.

The car needs an alignment and will need brake pads soon, but other then that he said everything looked great.

To keep it honda related, the block head mechanic told me he had a 900hp Accord that he races. Its forced induction with atleast nitrous, he didn't say if it was turbo'd as well. He just said it was a VTEC engine, when I asked if it was a H22 or not. He was telling me about where they street race around here and like tried convincing me of how it was a lot of fun and stuff. :shrug2:

lol

Since the mechanic gave the okay and the PO obviously didn't beat the shit out of it, I'd go for it. Shit, I'd buy a WRX if I didn't need better mileage.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Aug 20 2005, 12:29 PM

To keep it honda related, the block head mechanic told me he had a 900hp Accord that he races. Its forced induction with atleast nitrous, he didn't say if it was turbo'd as well. He just said it was a VTEC engine, when I asked if it was a H22 or not. He was telling me about where they street race around here and like tried convincing me of how it was a lot of fun and stuff. :shrug2:
[post=542836]Quoted post[/post]​

thats pretty gay if you ask me. I would have to raise the BS flag on that statement

I would say depends on how bad you want the car. I mean, can you honestly afford the car payments and insurance. Sounds like your having doubts. Keep in mind, rex's are pigs on gas.
You say your other car has a clutch problem. Why don't you pick up a car manual (helms) and some tools and fix it yourself. I'm not even sure why you post on this site if your not a DIY'er.
I guess it all comes down to want or need. You gotta look down the road. Hey, I guess you can lease it for a little while & sell it like he's trying to do if you can't afford it or don't want it. Do the math, figure out if you want or need it, then make a decision.

Also, I would drive it myself before I bought it. If he doesn't want to let you drive it, forget. Major reason why, to feel the condition of the clutch.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Aug 20 2005, 05:58 PM
I would say depends on how bad you want the car. I mean, can you honestly afford the car payments and insurance. Sounds like your having doubts. Keep in mind, rex's are pigs on gas.
You say your other car has a clutch problem. Why don't you pick up a car manual (helms) and some tools and fix it yourself. I'm not even sure why you post on this site if your not a DIY'er.
I guess it all comes down to want or need. You gotta look down the road. Hey, I guess you can lease it for a little while & sell it like he's trying to do if you can't afford it or don't want it. Do the math, figure out if you want or need it, then make a decision.

Also, I would drive it myself before I bought it. If he doesn't want to let you drive it, forget. Major reason why, to feel the condition of the clutch.

Not to be a jerk, but you pretty much misunderstood and missed the point of everything I said.

I can afford the car. I have 11,000 in cash right now, its really not that big of deal. Insurance is affordable at $165 for full coverage. Gas mileage is better than the car I have now, other than Celerity saying he's getting terrible mileage I hear nothing but good things about the car and gas mileage. If the car is producing the power that it is and it gets 27mpg with highway driving I wouldn't deam it a pig at all. Less than 20mpg to me would be a pig, usually I get better mileage than most other people. I should be able to get 25-30mpg with the car if I try.

I'm not going to be leasing the car, I'm going to be buying a leased vehicle at his buyout price + money to him, its still the cheapest deal I can find.

I don't have a garage, I don't have tools, I don't even have jack stands. I'm sure if I tried I could probably replace a clutch if I had the tools and space neccesary to do so, but I don't. I come on this site to learn more information and potentially be a DIYer in the future, plus there's good people on this site and a lot more to it than just car info.

I asked him to drive the car for me, I also drove the car, but I wanted to ride along and listen and see everything with open eyes that weren't tied to the steering wheel. I drove it the other day and I drove it to the mechanic today. Car seemed great, just the momo shift knob shifts which was annoying so I'll have to tighten it up...not a big deal in the least.

An old business teacher of mine thats now a friend thats a huge car fan, has connections with some dealers. He's trying to convince me to get a 2004 WRX WAGON with 14,000 miles in PRESTINE condition for around 18,000. The difference with the car is that it'll still have a full warranty for another 2 years and would be covered by a dealer. This car I'm looking at is a private sale and the basic warranty runs out in 36months/36,000 miles...3 months from now, but it'll still have a drivetrain warranty until 60months/60,000 miles.

I'm going to buy this car I believe unless something changes from now until the pre approved loan comes through.

overall it sounds like a good deal. But what you said about the tools. I would go buy some as soon as you can. You have knowledge about cars, so your not some idiot just buying a car. But its always good to have tools. Even if the littlest bullshit thing happens your gonna need some tools to fix it. I usually have a toolbox in my trunk and i have a huge one at my house.

i would look for another one.....hard to do but the best move in this case.

Originally posted by allbottledup+Aug 20 2005, 05:29 PM-->
New2TheCarScene
@Aug 20 2005, 12:29 PM

thats pretty gay if you ask me. I would have to raise the BS flag on that statement
[post=542894]Quoted post[/post]​

me too.

if there was a 900 hp accord floating around... you would think that someone would have heard of it, been in a magazine, or actually doing some pro races.

sounds like a bragging mechanic, and well, i wouldn't trust his evaluation of the car at all. espec. since he obviosuly didn't have a clue what an h22 was.

i got $50 that the car doesn't exist and this mechanic is the oil change bitch.

I dunno man... i'd say this thing is a bust.

what about nick m's roomate's that i told you about? its in way better shape... the same price...

i dunno...

its like one of those "if you have to ask, you probably already know" deals...

i'd pass man.

I pretty much agree with everything that has been said so far. It's a decent car, but not a great car.

As for your warranty questions: Why worry about the warranty? It only has 12k left on the warranty, but that's not counting the "3 year" portion of that? How much time does it actually have left? Also, no specific mod will "void the warranty". You can mod the car such that SOA will refuse to pay for a fix that they deem caused the failure (i.e., you installed new brakes and now your brakes don't work correctly), but even that can be argued.

That said....the Cobb reflash might cause you problems with SOA. That changes maps and ups the boost, and SOA won't like that. The nice thing about the AccessPort (if it's an AP and not the older reflash), is that you can uplug it and take the car over to Subaru with a stock ECU.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Aug 20 2005, 05:58 PM

[post=542916]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude I bet there are a lot of non-diy'ers on this site, shit I'm one of them. I don't go to a garage since I have friends who are mechanics and I'm going to be learning a lot about cars in the next while, but to say that we shouldn't be posting on this site if were not DIY'ers is bullshit. I come here to learn and how else are we going to learn if you think we shouldn't post?

And dude who wants the WRX, do what you got to do. If you really want it, buy it, but if your having a lot of doubts then I'd forget about it.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Aug 22 2005, 11:02 AM-->
Originally posted by allbottledup@Aug 20 2005, 05:29 PM
New2TheCarScene
@Aug 20 2005, 12:29 PM

[post=542894]Quoted post[/post]​

me too.

if there was a 900 hp accord floating around... you would think that someone would have heard of it, been in a magazine, or actually doing some pro races.

sounds like a bragging mechanic, and well, i wouldn't trust his evaluation of the car at all. espec. since he obviosuly didn't have a clue what an h22 was.

i got $50 that the car doesn't exist and this mechanic is the oil change bitch.

I dunno man... i'd say this thing is a bust.

what about nick m's roomate's that i told you about? its in way better shape... the same price...

i dunno...

its like one of those "if you have to ask, you probably already know" deals...

i'd pass man.
[post=543507]Quoted post[/post]​

That car was beat bro and way more miles for more money.

If it wasn't this one, I would have gotten the blaze yellow one from mass that I posted because it was a unique color and a good deal, sadly it actually got sold off.

Loan just got approved today, money and paerwork is all but sent.

doing it.

hmmm..... seeing as the last post was six days ago, you prolly already bought the car or moved on. but i'd just like to say that i agree with pissedoffsol, i wouldn't get it. it was a lease, and my gut tells me that the guy ran the car HARD without even meeting the guy or seeing the car. seems to me like your in a tight spot and making a rash decision, and you're trying to convince yourself that you're not. the shift knob was loose, thats a pretty good indication of rough shifting. however, i must say that i could be wrong about everything, but my gut tells me that he ran the car hard, and your going to have a lot of premature problems with it.

just my $.02

Back