Shredded Rubber: Killer Roads

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TheTrack.jpg

Tis what us locals call "The Track" its 115miles of nothing but hard in, hard out corners that will and has kill any unexperienced driver. Its how we test the local cars.

did you get a reschedule on the interview?
meanwhile i'd take this as an opportunity for a catback update ;).

Yes, rescheduled for tomorrow. Which is nice, except that I really thought it would be an easy fix. Now it seems that the blown out cat is a symptom of something else because she still runs like ass aftter making sure that the entire exhaust path is clear. The spark plugs were completely fouled, idles fine but having a hell of a time getting her to rev. Won't go past 3-4k...& when I try I start getting backfires! :eek: Ow, LOUD!

This may actually be my opportunity to swap motors, though....
Problems w/ that is I need her for transportation ~right now~ & I have no place to work on her...oh, & I'm freaking un-employed @ the moment! Can't even do a street swap 'cause the in-laws live on a hill....plus it's a nice 'hood where people just don't do that sort of thing. :(

I started this thread to see & post vids of thrashing the backroads.
Now all I want to see is my baby getting me to work before I start to cry. :bawling:

well, my buddy is selling a JDM b18b with conversion harness for obd-0.. check sig

Nah. Thanks. I really want to find a clean JDM D-series. In the meantime I may actually have to get another vehicle for reliable transport.

winding_road_tn.jpg

As soon as I figure out a way to ~securely~ mount my camera I plan to post
some vids for everyone's enjoyment.
\
quote]

Ok what ya do is take a 2x4 cut it to fit around your passanger head rest. Use a metal clamp and some wood screws, to secure it in place. Go to the store find a bolt that matches your camras bottom, drill a hole in the 2'4 an screw the camra in place... simple... mite cost you $5 bucks

just an idea

You're completely serious, aren't you?

Why wouldn't he be? It's no different than the commercial camera mounts. Only the one serrilion described is quite a bit cheaper.

If you want, use some square aluminum bar stock. But if you're going to have something poking out like a 2x4 or some bar stock, I'd be sure to be using a 5 point and a helmet.

Some other options start with a cheap webcam, clipped to the rear portion of the hood, then hooked up to a laptop inside the cabin recording. I've done that before, works pretty well, and because it's outside, there's no wash-out from the contrast change (inside to outside). If you were really enterprising, you could do this setup with several more cameras. One front, rear, driver, console, roof-mount, ect. Then it'd be just like rally car race footage after you edited it all together. Best part is that you don't really have to worry about one of them breaking either, I mean, $10 for a webcam? Who really cares.

I have two webcams & have thought about doing this actually. I'd put one on the very nose of the car (a la dacheat) & another w/ cockpit. Alas, webcams are in storage for a little while longer....

I really think that not only would the 2x4 (or bar stock) be horribly ugly & time consuming to set up & break down, but also pretty dangerous.
The set-up right now is a cheap-o mini tripod & a handful of mini bungees on the p-side head rest. It works okay for now. (see vid...)

The 'Rex is also grounded from fun runs right now until I get some new shoes for her & get the epileptic seizures in the suspension sorted out. 1st thing I'm going to do is head back out for some practice runs down Drum Canyon before making another vid.

Anyone else want to show off their handiwork?

i think i'm getting some from k2ev2in (or wtfe it is can't remember) on weds - if so i'll be changing my sig to 'dacheat luvs her stock taillights okbai!' ^_^

I'm also working on my friend to take the CRX out for some videos.. but we just figured out that I can't download the video through the USB connection. Looks like I'll have to buy a capture card unless somebody knows a better idea to get a composite RCA video signal onto the computer..

Heh. Had to do it.

Today on my way home I decided to take the long route, just to scope out places to take the girlfriend to watch the sun rise, get good pictures, and drive. I think I found a nice little road.

road.png

Google earth says 9.1 km. It's in one of those areas where it's not used very much, so if you time it right, you'll have it all to yourself. It's a good thing there's a few towns on the way, because if it were all just breakneck road, I dunno if I could manage it. I'll probably go out again, this time with a webcam on the hood, if I can find one.

Btw, the new winter tires feel like my summer tires did back in July, snug on the pavement, like velcro. Thank god it hasn't snowed yet.

God damn it. As soon as I was ready to start out, I looked out the window, and there's snow falling. That road is a bit higher than where I live, so I expect that it's probably already got a nice coat.

So much for rally practice this winter.

wont be able to hit that road now.. car is stolen.. :( ..... maybe i'll go drift it in the pickup

Back