Sir 1 Swap Into A 96 Ex Coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok so i went on the hmotorsonline.com website and saw they had a 89-91 sir1 b16a for only 1150.00

whats the catch? is that motor any good? is it any worse then the sirII motor that sells for almost 900.00 more?

will it pass smog in Ca? or is it a strictly jdm engine that will never pass ca. smog?

thanks

the motor is good... but not for your car. thats for 88-91 cvics.

you can try to put it in your car, but don't say we didn't warn you. it will be a wiring HELL.
that, and it wont pass smog. see the FAQ forum. there is a write up of cali's laws there.
basically, you need a "same year or newer" motor than your chassis.

even the sir2 motor is going to be tricky. try to source a 99-00 civic si b16a2. thats the easiest swap for your car, yet still not direct plug N play

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 2 2003, 01:49 AM
the motor is good... but not for your car. thats for 88-91 cvics.

you can try to put it in your car, but don't say we didn't warn you. it will be a wiring HELL.
that, and it wont pass smog. see the FAQ forum. there is a write up of cali's laws there.
basically, you need a "same year or newer" motor than your chassis.

even the sir2 motor is going to be tricky. try to source a 99-00 civic si b16a2. thats the easiest swap for your car, yet still not direct plug N play

shit, i forgot about the same year or newer.....

do they make any kits for the 99-00 b16a2 that are plug and play?

or will i have to get frankenstein on it?

You will need a harness adapter, I think skunk2 makes one. It is taking a obd2b (a.k.a. obd3) motor (99-00si) into an obd2a car. Might have to cut and splce some plugs.

also, use teg side motor and tranny mounts and 99-00si rear motor mounts to get it in there. All 99-00si wont work and neither will all teg. :)

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Mar 2 2003, 02:12 AM
You will need a harness adapter, I think skunk2 makes one. It is taking a obd2b (a.k.a. obd3) motor (99-00si) into an obd2a car. Might have to cut and splce some plugs.

also, use teg side motor and tranny mounts and 99-00si rear motor mounts to get it in there. All 99-00si wont work and neither will all teg. :)

is the 96 ex coupe obd1?

No, obd2a.

It seems the 96-97 are obd2a and 98-up (or 99-up) is obd2b (a.k.a. obd3) and so you will need to use an adapter harness and MAYBE some plugs from the obd2b harness. (to use the 99-00 si b16a2 that is)

use the ex harness, cut and splice for the dizzy, o2, and evap.

Back