sleeve, or not?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ek9r

im going to bore the b18c5 block to 85mm. It is a high compression N/A setup if anyone here doesn't know that. Will i need to sleeve it? would it be cheaper to go with a dart block? Also, does a C5 have oil squirters, that would cause a problem with the 85mm pistons?
thanks in advance

The stock sleves won't hold a bore over 81.5mm. You have to sleeve to get to 85mm. There is no "should I".

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 31 2003, 08:01 PM
dont' go over 84.5mm

y not? the pistons i want to run are only available in 85mm+. if it is really not possible to go to 85mm on a c5, should i sell my short block and pick up a dart block?

If you're planning on racing in a league or competition, make sure that you're allowed to use the DART block. If you're not worried about it and have the extra cash to burn, go ahead and get the DART- otherwise resleeve your C5 and have it bored to 85mm. The stock sleeeve will NOT hold an 85mm bore.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 1 2003, 01:34 PM
If you're planning on racing in a league or competition, make sure that you're allowed to use the DART block. If you're not worried about it and have the extra cash to burn, go ahead and get the DART- otherwise resleeve your C5 and have it bored to 85mm. The stock sleeeve will NOT hold an 85mm bore.

im not doing any league racing, just open drag racing. i really dont have the extra cash for a dart block right now. will the C5 block hold a 85mm bore with godzilla sleeves installed? is this a dangerous thing to do?

also does a c5 block have oil squirters that would cause a problem with 13.5:1 85mm pistons? anyone have any experiance with this matter?

the c5 does have oil squirters. so does the c1, but i dont think that bore size would affect anything. and as long as you get it sleeved then bored out all by the same company, you will be fine. i know calesta has an 85mm bore and im pretty sure hes got it sleeved by golden eagle.

and jesus, 13.5:1 compression? what pistons? why do you want that high of compression? you will be running on race gas full time, forget about pump gas.

because if you go over 84.5 the cyl wall becomes too thin and is prone to failure. I would also not reccomend 13.5:1 compression. That is a real headache.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Nov 2 2003, 05:45 PM
the c5 does have oil squirters. so does the c1, but i dont think that bore size would affect anything. and as long as you get it sleeved then bored out all by the same company, you will be fine. i know calesta has an 85mm bore and im pretty sure hes got it sleeved by golden eagle.

and jesus, 13.5:1 compression? what pistons? why do you want that high of compression? you will be running on race gas full time, forget about pump gas.

the pistons im going with are ib wiseco "super dupers". i will not be running pump gas any longer, which is not an issue. ive heard of lots of people running 85mm in b20's, but not too many in the b18's. thanks for all your help guys.

I would stick with 84, if anything goes wrong and you need your sleeves bored or hones then you can go out some, with 85's that is pretty big.

Your still going to create a lot of power with 84-84.5mm

Yup, I'm running 85mm in a Golden Eagle sleeved C1 block.

Yup, I'm still using the oil squirters. They require a slight bit of modification to fit the large bore... edit- I mean to fit the larger crank, not the bore... whoops

JD, you can still go quite a bit higher than 85mm on the GE sleeve- just don't boost on it once you're past 85mm.

ek9r- you don't hear about people going up to 85mm in B18s because they start out with a smaller bore (81mm vs 84mm in the B20). Boring .5mm to 1mm over on a stock sleeve isn't that bad, but going 4mm larger on a stock sleeve is.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 3 2003, 01:04 AM
Yup, I'm running 85mm in a Golden Eagle sleeved C1 block.

Yup, I'm still using the oil squirters. They require a slight bit of modification to fit the large bore...

JD, you can still go quite a bit higher than 85mm on the GE sleeve- just don't boost on it once you're past 85mm.

ek9r- you don't hear about people going up to 85mm in B18s because they start out with a smaller bore (81mm vs 84mm in the B20). Boring .5mm to 1mm over on a stock sleeve isn't that bad, but going 4mm larger on a stock sleeve is.

:werd: calesta got pm

Originally posted by JDMilan@Nov 3 2003, 07:15 PM
tru, good luck on the build ek...

thanks for your help man, hope i dont forget anything . . . should be fun though. :p

Back