So apparently my hood didn't latch..............

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D16Civic

Matt
VIP
and 20 miles down the freeway I found out the hard way.

My battery was dead when I went to leave work. Jumped it, closed the hood, and headed home for a cold beer. Took me a bit longer to get there then I thought it would. Luckily I was in the right lane and managed to get it over to the shoulder pretty easily, but I was still doing about 70, and I will admit, it just about scared the shit out of me.

I was only about 1/2 mile from my exit, and after I collected myself, I drove it up the shoulder and off the freeway at about 25 mph. 20 minutes later while I was waiting for the tow truck, the cops show up and ask me "what the hell are you doing?", like I planned this whole episode.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 192
i did that with my old carbon hood. luckily the window didnt crack. just broke the tabs off the edges of the hood :(

hows the roof?
i would have drove the thing home with my head out the window, lol.

Saw this happen to a sexy blue Supra on my way home from work about a month ago. Just proves, it can happen to anyone.

Am I the only one who checks to make sure their hood latched after I shut it?

Sucks, hopefully insurance will cover the new windshield.

Nope. I check the trunk too

That does suck though. Glad to see your alright aside from the window

I apparently got lucky. I forgot to shut my hood all the way and drove it down the highway before.

i always yank the fuck out of the hood to make sure its fully locked on the primary latch
also test the trunk and doors when i close/lock them

hood pins, only work if you put them in
my friends pops has a 66 mustang with a fiberglass hood and pins, he put a battery in and forgot to pin the hood and did a burnout in the road and got a little too much wind underneath the hood lol
luckily it was a cheap hood and just ripped the skin off the frame

i was driving my inlaws new highlander one day and went to pull the ebrake release handle to make sure the brake wasnt dragging... well they have a push once to ebrake, push pedal again to unlock, so i actually pulled the hood release at 75 mph
gotta love secondaries

The roof has a small dent just above the windshield, but nothing major.

The windshield cost me $185 installed from Safelite. Wasn't even worth an insurance claim. Still gotta look around for a hood.

If I didn't have AAA I probably would have drove it the last 3 miles home.

The wife is trying to convince me it's time for a new car now, like it was some kind of an omen. lol. I've been considering it for quite some time honestly, but I'm just not sure I'm ready to make car payments and higher insurance rates. The car is 16 yrs old, but it just turned over 100,000, and hell, the windshield is under warranty for as long as I own the car.

Don't fall for the payments, and worse gas mileage to boot.
Did you have them use OE windshield moldings or did they stick you with the doofy one piece rubber molding that never sits in the upper corners right and allows water in there to sit and rot.

I've had a lot of windshields replaced, lol.

Been there done that.. Had a fiber glass hood on a show stuck S10 I had fly up on me on the freeway at about 70. Bad part is it was a nice thick hood and smashed the window in as well as the roof got smashed down a solid 3 inches. Sucked.

I did this when I was 16. It came up at like 70 and smashed in the window and bent and smashed the sunroof. I pulled over and unbolted it and bent it in half and threw it in the back of the car and drove the 30 miles home.

When it happened it sounded like a gun went off and the car was showered with the glass from the sunroof.

I did something similar on an autocross course in my Fit. I couldn't figure out what the noise was on the first two runs, and upon watching the video between runs I noticed something flapping. I asked the guy running start to close it for me, and he hit it with the radio in his hand and dented it.

A guy I worked with accidentally popped the hood in a rental trying to get the gas cover opened, then forgot about it while filling up (it was NJ, where you can't pump your own gas). He went to return the rental, and while on the TP the hood popped open, flew off, and hit another car -- all of which he was liable for. One corner went through the other car's radiator, and spun then went through the other windshield.

Back