Speedometer jumps around???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
I'm trying to get my speedometer on my 93 integra to work right... I replaced the speedometer cable with a brand new one from Acura, and put a different VSS from a vehicle that I know it worked on.

My odometer and trip meter is moving like normal, but the speedometer jumps around like crazy... It goes to like 20 then 40 then back down to 30, then up to 50 then down to 20, like that... :huh: Wierd. Can anyone help me out? Maybe I missed something. Seems like there is only 3 things that could be wrong. VSS, speedometer cable, and the cluster.

I'm stumped!

i have heard bad clusters can do that. i would swap in one if you have a spare just to check it. could be some sort of vacuum line also. try to get a cluster first.

Thanks, I do have an extra cluster. I was planning on switching it out today after work. What do you mean "vacuum line"? There is no vacuum lines attached to anything related to the speedometer.

Alright, I figured it out. The cluster is good, however there is a little "clip" that goes around the tip of the VSS that secures the speedometer cable and doesn't let it pop out. Once I got that, my speedometer works perfectly.

Thanks to 95b16coupe, for being the only one to give some advice!

Hope this helps anyone in the future with the same problem.

sorry i couldn't help more. i wasn't right in the answer, but i assumed the vss was ok.

glad you got it fixed.

Alright, I figured it out. The cluster is good, however there is a little "clip" that goes around the tip of the VSS that secures the speedometer cable and doesn't let it pop out. Once I got that, my speedometer works perfectly.

Thanks to 95b16coupe, for being the only one to give some advice!

Hope this helps anyone in the future with the same problem.

if you have a vss theres no cable... its an electronic sensor on the trans. theres a drive gear yes but no cable. my 90 si is jumping as well and making a humming noise. im assuming a new cable is in order

if you have a vss theres no cable... its an electronic sensor on the trans. theres a drive gear yes but no cable. my 90 si is jumping as well and making a humming noise. im assuming a new cable is in order

What are you talking about? There IS a cable. ITS THE SPEEDOMETER CABLE! It plugs into the VSS on one end and to the back of the cluster on the other end...

What are you talking about? There IS a cable. ITS THE SPEEDOMETER CABLE! It plugs into the VSS on one end and to the back of the cluster on the other end...

well just when you say VSS i think of VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR. the magnetic sensor on top..not the drive gear in the trans.

Back