Spur of the moment home renovation.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
and I'll have it today :blink:

Well...another deal popped up this morning in my neighborhood...and I think I'll snag it while its hot..litterally...hot tar... :mrgreen:

the neighbor across the street had a paving company show up this morning, making all kinds of noise, and I peeked out, and sure enough, they were tearing apart the driveway, and their putting new aspalt down.

So I waved the guy down and he came over and gave me an estimate to do my driveway...which is about 90 ft and 16 ft wide 4 inches thick...he said he could do it today, while all the stuff is here, for a mear $2000.....I gave him the damn strike sob story, and he dropped it another 200...so $1800...and I can have the driveway done.

Sad thing, the other neighbor had his driveway done a few years ago, same lenght, but one car wide, and they shelled out $2300, and the guy thats getting his done today is shelling out $2500 for a two car spot.

I feel like a little whore.... :tongue:

now to move some cars around....

Pics will be up tommorow :)

That is a ridiculous price. Ridiculous. Cherish it while you have it.

enjoy parking in the road for 4 months. :cry:

i don't know why they can't make driveway pavement like road pavement that you can drive on within an hour

nah...the guy said 3-4 days wait...

and when I was talking to him this morning....he was still in the recovery mode from a cold, and was pumped up with drugs. Cool guy. Later on this afternoon, it dawned on him what he fucked up....the price. He said this was a $3000 job....and he just became a cool dude for staying with his original quote. But he told me to tell the neighbors that I'm paying $3000 for it. Just got back from various banks, and got the full $1800 in $20's...hehe...got to love ATMS..... :laugh: and he said he's happy with that.

Scarping the snow next winter will be a breeze with out hitting boulders, rocks, gravel, acorns, twigs....and I prolly just popped the houses value a few grand. :cool:

Next is re-shingle the house, siding on the garage and house, windows for the house, and yard work from hell...and then do the wiring for the garage, plumb some other shit to it, build a kick ass shed, and then get back to the interior of the house.....and do a swap on Steve's civic, a full rebuild on the CRX, and figuare out what I'm going to do with the civic. And keep the search up for a decent truck. :ph34r:

Damn...to much to do yet :cry:

Quoted post[/post]]
Wait a sec... can I bring the Civic down tonight ?
if you don't mind it parked on the grass for a few days. :wink:

3-4 days? no way dude.

sure, you CAN drive on it, but you'll rut it up.

I moved the del sol back into the driveway after 4 months, and it left 3 tiny divits in the driveway.

rain makes it worse, and takes longer to dry.... and guess what, it's april. lol

well, coming shortly I'll have a truck that we can use (It's a Brat, so we can get it around the yard without ripping shit up)

Civic in the grass? Ok by me man. That'll be what.. 3 cars in the grass ? If Supa K-chan is ok with it, that's what I wanted to know. I can bring this car up there in it's current shape, but to bring it back would be twice the damage.

Rain actually helps the Asphalt harden. The process for laying black top is to heat it then it hardens as it cools. The ruts in your driveway are most likely from a poor sub base or driving on it too soon. obviously some things will effect it more than others. that is why outside biker bars you will most likely see kick stand board for them to use.

NO cars saw the drive way for 4 months.
no one even walked on it for 2 weeks.

the base was done 2 weeks prior to the paving... old driveway was ripped up, new base was layed and pressed.

If you think its only going to take 3 days, i'm not goin gto stop you. its your driveway, park on it if you want.

but you park 4 cars on it that hardly ever move, if at all. and you will have sinkholes on all 4 tires.

I bet they'll just pour it.

there is actually a scam based on this - the only thing that differs about this is that Clayton went to them.Normally the scammers knock on your door and ask if you want it. Then they pour it ontop of grass and run away with your money (We'll do it cheap if you pay with cash) and (We told your neighbors that you were paying $3000 for it)(Oh... shit..)

Unfortunately, salesmen going door-to-door offering to pave driveways at very low cost is a common home construction scam. The typical scenario (but by no means the only scenario) begins with a salesman at a customer's door offering to pave their driveway for a very low cost because they have some "left over mix" from another close-by job. If the customer agrees to the work, the scam artist will often request payment up front or in cash. They then either do a poor job using inferior equipment and materials, do an incomplete job and leave, or just leave without doing any work. These scams typically result in unsatisfied consumers who end up paying for inferior work that often must be replaced.

A driveway paving project should be treated like any other major home improvement project. The Attorney General of Washington Consumer Protection Division (http://www.wa.gov/ago/consumer/contractors.html) has some basic guidelines for contractor selection. Some of the driveway paving scam warning signs are:

Selling door-to-door. Reputable HMA contractors will rarely if ever sell their product door-to-door.
Claiming they have "left over mix". Often, a scam artist will claim they have HMA left over from a previous job that will go bad if they do not use it so they must offer you a great deal. Reputable contractors carefully compute their HMA requirements and rarely have substantial left over HMA. Additionally, once HMA cools below about 175°F it becomes too viscous to compact. Therefore, someone driving around with "left over mix" for several hours looking for a driveway paving job will likely have HMA that is uncompactable. Poorly compacted HMA can result in a myriad of problems.
Pushing you to make a quick decision. Reputable contractors will provide a quote before doing any work so that you may shop around.
Cash only sales. Most reputable contractors take checks, and don't require cash-only terms.
No contract offered. Most reputable contractors will offer you a contract in advance of the work to be performed.
Deals that seem too good to be true. If the quoted price seems very low, chances are the quality of work will also be quite low.
A quality hot mix asphalt driveway that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing can be built at a reasonable price.

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=3712718

Under normal circumstances I would agree, the only thing I would doubt as this being any kind of scam is that he went to them, and the guy gave him a quote...

Quoted post[/post]]

there is actually a scam based on this - the only thing that differs about this is that Clayton went to them.Normally the scammers knock on your door and ask if you want it. Then they pour it ontop of grass and run away with your money (We'll do it cheap if you pay with cash) and (We told your neighbors that you were paying $3000 for it)(Oh... shit..)

Unfortunately, salesmen going door-to-door offering to pave driveways at very low cost is a common home construction scam. The typical scenario (but by no means the only scenario) begins with a salesman at a customer's door offering to pave their driveway for a very low cost because they have some "left over mix" from another close-by job. If the customer agrees to the work, the scam artist will often request payment up front or in cash. They then either do a poor job using inferior equipment and materials, do an incomplete job and leave, or just leave without doing any work. These scams typically result in unsatisfied consumers who end up paying for inferior work that often must be replaced.

I was going to say this but didn't want to be the doomsdayer. Most of the time its inferior product or labor, as in they'll tell you they're going to lay 4inches of assault when in reality they lay 1/2 inch.

...and what was said about "the left over mix" I have heard many, many times.

Quoted post[/post]]

there is actually a scam based on this - the only thing that differs about this is that Clayton went to them.Normally the scammers knock on your door and ask if you want it.

Quoted post[/post]]
Under normal circumstances I would agree, the only thing I would doubt as this being any kind of scam is that he went to them, and the guy gave him a quote...

Back