Stand Alone Engine Management

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i dont have any experience with it, but i can offer something you should look into very seriously. check out the hondata s200 with the boost option, if you're able to get some dyno time (im travelling 3 states over to get dyno time, its important) if you get it tuned, not only will you be making what could be an insane amount of power, it will be reliable as stock possibly.

hondata.

its the best for the money for the average tuner.

aem, accel, motec, etc are just too complicated and have features that a normal user would never use, let alone know how to :p

yea but with hondata dont you have to burn a new every time you change your setup? and doesnt that mean you have to buy additional equipment to do so?

Originally posted by cockstronghalfablocklong@Feb 25 2003, 09:20 PM
yea but with hondata dont you have to burn a new every time you change your setup? and doesnt that mean you have to buy additional equipment to do so?

Yes, or you can use a EEPROM that you can re-burn over and over... sure you have to burn a new chip or burn yours again, but the tuner you go to should have all that equipment already, including the dyno and wideband O2 sensor that you're going to need to tune also. You can't just plug in a stand-alone system and expect it to do everything on its own- the guy you take it to for dyno work should have all the Hondata equipment already. If not, well- you probably shouldn't go to him/her to tune your Hondata system.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 24 2003, 01:43 AM
aem, accel, motec, etc are just too complicated and have features that a normal user would never use, let alone know how to :p

100% agreed. (with some experience: autotronic and motec) but decide what functions you want and then compare to see what each system provides and most importantly who is gonna tune it for you and what experience they have

look up sds digital very easy to tune can work with your dist or with seperate coils very good and you dont need a laptop to tune the give you a palm held unit if you are intrested pm me and we should do a group buy saves us like 10%

hondata also gives you the option of using ROMULATOR, which allows you to program on the fly for dyno tuning.
the laptop stores the changed amounts and then after you find the right setting you can d/l the ROM in like a few seconds

i just need to buy the pocket programmer and i will be able to tune my hondata.. i've got an Emulator board already

hondata is a great ECU.....i hate tuning the ecu....half the time i don't know what you guys are talking about....i let some pro did mine for me.....ya know where i can get lessons? ASE certified, but when it comes to this....well lets not talk about it.

i just read the entire hondata page. i mean EVERYTHING. and there are several knowledgeable tuners around here that i hang out with and talk to. i would suggest downloading hondata's demo version of rom editor.. you can see what goes on while you tune it and get a sort of idea on what they are changing and why

I don't know about everyone else, but everything i have read on Import Tuner and Super Honda say that AEM's new ecu is really badass and user friendly but who knows Import Tuner could be wrong. (but i doubt it)

AEM EMS is a complete standalone. It replaces the ECU completely and it costs roughly 1200-1500 bucks.

Hondata is a "piggy back", but gives you basically the same options and allows you to fully tune the car. You just have to spend the time and have the equipment. Hondata s200 is 400 i think and then add the other options you want.

Hondata, IMO, is a great buy and worth it. If you aren't going full race, no need for aem, imo. :)

How does the s1 compare? All I want the tuner to be able to do is, change the vetc engagement, a/f ratio, ignition timing and redline for the most part...would I have to buy any extras, on the s1 sytem??

Back