stimulous rebate dates

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

married couples filing a joint return
the date is determined by the first SSN listed on the return, most likely yours
ie: taxpayer line vs spouse line

Phaseout reduction begins at $75,000 for single filers and $150,000 for joint filers.
7) Married couple with no children, AGI is $160,000, federal income tax liability exceeds $1,200.
Individual rebate is $1,200
Phaseout reduction is
($500)
TOTAL is $700

remember this is your AGI, not your income
Damn, we're over that. :(

74....I got fucked. Sep 10th, I'm going to forget about the money by then. Way to head off a recession. Whats happening in the economy is happening right now.Why can't we all get them in July? Not like they can't handle spending the money. I don't want my government bitching about spending when they waste trillions of dollars on a war to nowhere every year.

74....I got fucked. Sep 10th, I'm going to forget about the money by then. Way to head off a recession. Whats happening in the economy is happening right now.Why can't we all get them in July? Not like they can't handle spending the money. I don't want my government bitching about spending when they waste trillions of dollars on a war to nowhere every year.

Lets be honest, most people will be saving this money because of their fear of recession, rather than going out into the market place and splurging.

If people do spend the money, its going to be more so on commodity items.

The retail sector just posted such poor gains in January, which is usually one of the best months of the year, because of lack of extra spending by consumers who received gift cards over the holiday seasons. People bought commodities and not luxuries with a high amount of mark up built in. Additionally, people typically buy commodities with their out of pocket money AND then splurge for the luxuries using the gift cards.

The WSJ had an article the other week that spoke about the psychology behind the tax "refund". Refund has a connotation that denotes the return of something that you have given. According to research, those who are given checks that are called "bonuses" are statistically much more likely to spend the money, than those given checks called "refunds."

Cliff notes: Most people are going to hoard the money, rather than spinning it off into the economy. If the government wanted to stimulate more spending, anecdotal research has shown that when participants are given checks that are called "bonuses" they are more much likely to spend a larger portion of money than those people given checks called "refunds". Therefore it would have been more intelligent to call this little stimulus package a bonus, rather than refund.:ph34r:

im just under that...WOOT!

i r teh rox....on sept 24th that is. sadly i dunno what im gonna do with it...maybe suspension...i unno.

Whats happening in the economy is happening right now.Why can't we all get them in July?
you ever try to mail out 130 million checks at once?

Cliff notes: Most people are going to hoard the money, rather than spinning it off into the economy. If the government wanted to stimulate more spending, anecdotal research has shown that when participants are given checks that are called "bonuses" they are more much likely to spend a larger portion of money than those people given checks called "refunds". Therefore it would have been more intelligent to call this little stimulus package a bonus, rather than refund.:ph34r:
i guess thats why they're calling it a REBATE and not a refund
Rebate Questions? Find out whether you're eligible for a stimulus payment, and when and how to get it.

for all you guys saying you're not getting anything
are you taking into account that its a phaseout? not just a cutoff?
someone with an 80K income will still get 350 after a pahse out reduction of 250

you ever try to mail out 130 million checks at once?

i guess thats why they're calling it a REBATE and not a refund
Rebate Questions? Find out whether you're eligible for a stimulus payment, and when and how to get it.

someone with an 80K income will still get 350 after a pahse out reduction of 250

I meant **REBATE** when I was saying *refund*, but the logic has proven true for the word rebate as well.

When people hear bonus they think, "end of the year salary bonus" and "on top of" or "in addition to", the other words don't denote this sense of "extra" but rather a feeling that you're only getting some of the money you spent back, even if thats not entirely the truth.

(the credit is reduced by multiplying the amount of AGI over $75,000 by 5%)

according to that, i am at 1050. 600-1050 = i technically owe the gov't money, aka, i don't get one.

Wait, B, what? BDN mentioned this last night, the feds are giving back 600 to everyone this year? Rock the fuck on if they are, because Indiana state is doing the same thing.

1200 in free cash. :thumbsup:

Woah, hang on a sec.

Tax rebate checks are coming! - USATODAY.com

Look at the date on that article... This chart we've been using is for the 2001 rebate!

It's not just here, I've seen tons of conversation about the '08 rebates mentioning this chart... I can't find ANY official word about dates though, only that a schedule will be released in the future.

...are we (we as in everyone in the tubes) going on old information?

Back