Str Power Pulleys? Wtf?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daquel

I ordered STR power pulleys (underdrive) and when I try to install them, the bore is not large enough to go onto the crankshaft. Am I missing something from my kit? It came with two pulleys (one for the alternator and one for the power steering) and one Gates belt.

This is for a 96 B18b. I checked the web site and I'm 100% positive I have the right part#. Anyone ran into this problem?

TIA

eh, why are you putting them on your crankshaft if they are for your ps and alt.?

Cause I thought that is where they go on the crankshaft! LOL what an idiot I am! Where do they go, on the alternator and power steering pump?
So I guess I need an underdrive pulley now. (is that the one on the crankshaft?)

Originally posted by daquel@Feb 1 2003, 12:42 AM
So I guess I need an underdrive pulley now. (is that the one on the crankshaft?)

Stay away from lightened crankshaft pulleys, they will do nothing but ruin your engine. The crankshaft pulley is also called the "harmonic balancer". it helps balance out the engine....if you put a lightened one on it, all it will do is ruin your engine

:werd:

the only balanced crankshaft pulley i know of is the mugen one ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
there are many other places to get power out of your engine... pulleys should be a last resort if done at all
get rid of the power steering... then you save weight and get more power... while your at it scrap the AC too

Originally posted by daquel@Jan 31 2003, 10:42 PM
Where do they go, on the alternator and power steering pump?

yes... and dont get a new crankshaft pulley unless it is a mugen CTR N1 one, as stated above.

Yeah thanks guys. I actually did some research after I posted this and found out about the harmonic balancer. I'm glad I got these pulleys rather than the crankshaft pulley. I honestly thought I was getting the crankshaft pulley LOL! :sleep:

I actually scrapped the A/C and power steering pump. All I'll be using is the alternator pulley.

Originally posted by daquel@Feb 1 2003, 12:08 PM
All I'll be using is the alternator pulley.

just from personal experience, i've had the AEM alt. pulley kill 2 of my alternators so far, never using them again. i didn't notice any difference in power gain or loss.

Back