Stripped half shaft threads

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killercannible

Well, when i did my swap and went to put in the bolts for the half shaft i noticed aluminum material coming out of the holes. So of course i lost most of the thread and the bolts would not hold in the block anymore. I bought a helicoil kit my buddy installed them cause i have never done them before. The helicoils did not work, i think their wasn't enough material to hold the helicoil in place or they didn't grip the inside of the hole. So i am out of options, i have another block that i am building but i don't have the money to finish it yet so i need some options. Anyone got any ideas?

I thought of that but i have lost faith in helicoils. I am to the point where i am thinking about filling the holes with jb weld or liquid alluminum and tapping it out to the factory size.

No, I think he meant drill out and re-tap the aluminum to accept a larger bolt.

Although finding another bolt with a shoulder like that will be a complete and total pain in the ass.

you got a picture of what the bolt should look like, phyre? :)

Technically you don't have to use those bolts, the head of the bolt will hold the shaft against the block. The factory bolts have a collar about an inch long from the head to the threads, then narrows at the threads.

IIRC the bolts are M10x1.25
If you drill and tap, you'll have to use M12x1.75
1.75 is the standard thread pitch for M12's at the hardware store.
If you try to use 1.25, you'll need to get bell housing bolts. But finding an M12x1.25 tap will be a job in itself.

Thanks for the info, very helpfull. But what about strenght and life, The honda bolts don't really rust and are very strong, i have snapped some hardware store bolts before and worry about using them.

Make sure they are high grade bolts. They should say on the head what grade they are. Try getting the stainless steel, I believe they are usually higher grade.

Back