Strut Tower Braces

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90vtec

I have the chance to recieve one strut bar for a gift. I debating whether to get a front or rear? What make the biggest difference on it's own. I will eventually get the other one but at this moiment of time what is more noticable. I have a 90 Civic Hatch. Any info or comments will help!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Get it for the front and make a ghetto strut bar for the back. It will cost under 3 bucks and works well.

get both. stiffins up the body roll. if you get only front or only rear, your gonna have more sway in the opposite side of the car. get both. cheap as hell anyways.

the front needs it more. get the front. the front takes more stress during turns.

yea i'd get the front too...try to stay away from cheap crap, cuz those might bend at high speed turns which in then defeats the whole purpose of having strut bars anyways...i'd suggest skunk2 or spoon sports...although dc sports is a good company i've heard their strut bars bend at high speeds...but if u can get all of it...including the rear tie bar

yea, stay away from dc sports strut bars. ive heard they bend easy. a neuspeed front bar is also good. its a soild one-piece and it actually cost less than the spoon or skunk2, which have hinged ends.

i got the front neuspeed, and noticed a huge difference in my coupe. later, i added the rear, and the lower tie bar. i would definitely get all three if you plan on stiffer springs.

-h

Thanks. I will eventually cover all front rear and lower bars as well as larger sway bars. It's just i gat a gift for chirstmas and do need it so i have some extra change to spend and i thought this would be a good time to get these!!! So front it is, then to the rear and then to the lower!!!!

Ya, I had a cheap front strut bar and bent it merging onto freeway at 160:(. sadly everything else on the car was fine, no tire slip barely any body roll, but when i popped the hood the next day it was all bent. so i went and got an neuspeed bar, works a hell of alot better, havent bent it yet:) also get both bars. ull notice ur back end starting to slip more if u have the front bar but no rear.

From what I've read(not personal engineering experiance)a rear strut brace really doesn't do a whole lot unless it is triangulated into the frame via other cross braces.And it kind of makes sense since there is more weight above the connection points than a front strut bar.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 3 2003, 04:21 PM
From what I've read(not personal engineering experiance)a rear strut brace really doesn't do a whole lot unless it is triangulated into the frame via other cross braces.And it kind of makes sense since there is more weight above the connection points than a front strut bar.

i think the rear lower tie bar, good suspension, and an upper rear strut brace work together to triangulate the force of suspension between components, in their own way. As opposed to flexing the chassis/body, you're placing force on the opposite strut.

Look at the new civics, and it's like they seem to have a rear lower tie bar just built into the suspension.

That's what I mean,but without the lower one the upper is all but useless due to it's position in the weight distribution.

Cool, for now I'm going to get a cheap one. Vibrant or APC. I don mind if I bend because I'm in school fro mechanical engineering and if it bend i can easily!!!! make and machine my own custom bar with the measurements from the cheap one. I'd actually prefer to make my own but current don't have time!!! I race autocross so bending it is very likely.

Back