Stupid question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CFweave

I've been trying to learn as much as I can about modifying cars before I go and buy one. I'm confused on the whole debate as to whether mandrel bends or crush bends are better for an exhaust system. I know that on a turbo car, you'd want a large-diameter madrel bent pipe to reduce back pressure as much as possible. But on a naturally aspirated car, backpressure creates more torque (or so I hear). So then wouldn't crush bends be better for an exhaust system on a naturally aspirated car?

too much backpressure will work against you. you want just enough back pressure. you aslo want a smooth flow in the pipes. mandrel>crush

go with madreal bent. If you look at all of top brands thats what they use. Just decide on what diameter that you want. Look at dyno charts for pretty stock cars with different exhausts, and when you find one you like do the research to find the details about the exhaust,(ie diameter, mandarel bends) then go ahead and make yours. You should get some pretty good results.

mandrel bends have better flow
better flow is important for high RPM HP
hondas are all about high RPM HP
if you want to keep low end TQ dont go stupid huge on the diameter

Ok, thanks for the help. I was confused because I noticed a few guys with Hondas losing torque with their mandrel bent exhausts...but they have like 3 inch pipes and 5 inch tips...stupid ricers.

Back