Sudden power loss and I can barely hear my intake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigBoy

wtf so im leaving the mall today and the car is struggling to even accelerate. So im thinking im driving with my ebrake up a lil bit. Nope, then all of a sudden my car jerks forward and drives normally. A few minutes later it just seems like there is a big power loss and the car struggles to accelerate. Anyone have a similar problem or kknow what it could be? I going 70 on the freeway and the car seems like its struggling to drive that fast and the gas pedal seems a bit stiffer, or maybe it just feels that way.

possibly running on 3 cylinders? brake problems?

Clutch, or ignition. Could also be a fuel blockage. Check your filter, maybe change it, and run some injector cleaning. Check you plugs and cap. Other than that, it could be electrical.

Originally posted by EGProject@Jul 16 2005, 08:15 PM
Clutch, or ignition. Could also be a fuel blockage. Check your filter, maybe change it, and run some injector cleaning. Check you plugs and cap. Other than that, it could be electrical.
[post=527364]Quoted post[/post]​

way to narrow down the problem there buddy :ph34r:

sounds like you jumped time. check the timing belt and make sure everything is lined up.

Heh, sorry bout that. Wrote down the first thing I thought could be wrong, then thought of another..and then another. Damn EFI motors.

take a look into the cylinders, then start diagnosing. for all you or i know there could be cylinder filled with oil.

Check your throttle cable, and throttle body for smooth operation. If those are fine, then your pedal stiffness is all in your mind. If one of those aren't opperating smoothly, you might have found your problem.

To me it sounds like ignition problems. Pull your cap and inspect it and your rotor. See if it might be wet inside, or cracked, or overly dirty, or the contacts are pitted, the rotor screw is loose, Etc... Check for loose/frayed wires around the distributor. Inspect your plug wires, make sure they are all on TIGHT. a loose plug wire will cause those problems.

Also, check your spark plug holes for water. Just a little water in the wrong place will cause hell.

If all that looks good, pull the plugs and inspect.

Thats my two cents.

Now the car seems more normal, but the sound of the car is different and vtec sounds a bit muffled. The car sounds a little raspier.

Could this be caused by me getting a new exhaust 2 months ago and not resetting the ecu? I did disconnect the battery 2 weeks ago, but i first noticed the difference this past weekend.

hate to threadjack here but i have a similar problem, it doesn't really do it when it's cold, but at operating temperature. what happens is below 3k rpm, it sputters like hell(sometimes, not always) then right at about 3k or a little higher it'll seem to catch. the idle is somewhat rough, and if i turn on the a/c, forget about it, it practically kills it and amplifies the symptoms big time. i regularly clean out my fuel system, so you guys think it's the dizzy or maybe an o2 sensor or something? thanks in advance.
Sam
edit: it's a 97 ex w/stock d16y8 and cai. and i forgot to mention sometimes it'll make a popping sound while sputtering trying to accelerate. i think it's a backfire but it's not extremely loud and sounds like it's coming from the engine bay.

problem is still persisting. Im takin it to the shop tomorrow. Watch it be something stupid like a clogged cat

Back