suggestions for running/work out shoes?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have fallen in love with Nike Free. I own two pair. One is the 5.0 which has a sock-like outer shell and softer sole. That one is built for running. I also wear the 7.0, which has a leather outer sole but lots of breathability. It's perfect for kung fu and every day use. I'm extremely hard on my shoes and they've lasted like champs. You can literally grab these shoes and fold them in half and twist them all up, because the sole has many individual sections. Your feet actually build muscle from wearing them. They form to your feet. The first week or two is a little rough because your feet are building that muscle, but MAN these shoes rock the fucking casbah. The thing that sucks is that these series are not sold in stores anymore. Within the last couple years, sales have gone strictly online. I think this past year they released a new series, the 7.2 or some shit, but they're pretty much the same thing. Brand new, online, they are something in the range of 90 bucks. You can find older models on eBay and such for a lot cheaper. I got my 5.0s at Ross and my 7.0s at the flea market.

If you feel so inclined, try em out!

P.S. I had New Balance before, those rock too, just not in the casbah.

^ I like them for everyday wearing around but I just never thought they had enough cushion for any type of long running.

P.S. If you going to be running 2 to 3 miles and its going to be on a hard surface you are going to want a lot of cushion and support. Otherwise all the shock is absorbed in your legs which a lot of times will cause problems.

^ I like them for everyday wearing around but I just never thought they had enough cushion for any type of long running.

P.S. If you going to be running 2 to 3 miles and its going to be on a hard surface you are going to want a lot of cushion and support. Otherwise all the shock is absorbed in your legs which a lot of times will cause problems.

The knees and ankles, more specifically.

The knees and ankles, more specifically.
Even leg muscles. My Dad was very good at competitive road racing and his quad muscles got so beat up he had to quit because of that. His knees and ankles were fine but yeah I agree most of the time it is one of those two. Which is why if your going to be doing any jogging or running stretching is very very important.

yeah, i'm not good at running. i do it once and my legs hurt for a month. shinsplints and ankels mostly.

i'm mostly going to use them for working out, and walking/jogging a bit on some off days.

yeah, i'm not good at running. i do it once and my legs hurt for a month. shinsplints and ankels mostly.

i'm mostly going to use them for working out, and walking/jogging a bit on some off days.
A lot of what you experienced shinsplints is your muscles getting used to running. Your legs take a lot of impact and the shinsplints is just you feeling the impact.

New Balance are okay but I've always preferred Nike running shoes, running was a major part of my life for the six years I was in the military so I tried to find comfortable shoes.

Shox suck ass, running on metal springs=fail. Congrats on falling for mass marketing

I've owned more expensive running shoes but I can honestly say that nothing has ever compared to these IMO

Nike Air Pegasus + 25 - Men's - White/Black/Red

Extremely light, great value for the price, breathe extremely well

I currently run in 180's and I've owned Shox, but the Pegasus beats them all out

Last edited:
A lot of what you experienced shinsplints is your muscles getting used to running. Your legs take a lot of impact and the shinsplints is just you feeling the impact.

Shinsplints are a mild tendon inflammation/strain brought on by the impact of running on legs which aren't "broken in"

Get yourself some good running shoes (see my last post) then run exclusively on a track or another "soft" running surface for the first month. By then your legs should be ready to run on anything.

It's just like the breaking in period for new weight lifters, or breaking in a new engine to put it in car terms. If you redline the son of a bitch before it's broken in your gonna eff something up. Your body is no different.

Anything Nike is garbage.

Go to a running store, have them watch the way you walk/run. They will be able to tell you how you run, where you put the weight on your feet, and what shoe will suit you best. I bought a pair of Sauconys for $110 or so from a local specialty running store. Supported a local vendor and found a pair of shoes that works well for myself.

Short of going to the store, which you really should try, keep to Saucony and New Balance for a crosstrainer/running shoe.

Basketball Shoes - Running Shoes - Casual Shoes - Fan Gear - Sports Equipment | Eastbay.com will be the best online source you have to running shoes.

So that is likely exactly what I was saying? :D

I would argue that what you said about "part of your legs getting used to running" isn't true. If you properly break your body into running shinsplints will not occur. Sore muscles are natural, Shinsplints is an injury.

Anything Nike is garbage.

the NewBalance/Nike argument is like saying Coke or Pepsi. Nike is the most successful athletic shoe company in the world and was founded by the former track coach of one of the most successful track and field programs in the world which regularly finishes nationally in X-Country, Track and Field, etc. (just won a X-Country and Indoor Track National Title) They wear Nike exclusively...

I would never run in Shox and I freely say they are garbage but to say Nike's shoes are all garbage is ignorant and flat out wrong.

Last edited:
I would argue that what you said about "part of your legs getting used to running" isn't true. If you properly break your body into running shinsplints will not occur. Sore muscles are natural, Shinsplints is an injury.
People can also get shinsplints just by starting running again. Your right its an injury but you can get shinsplints no matter what.

the NewBalance/Nike argument is like saying Coke or Pepsi. Nike is the most successful athletic shoe company in the world and was founded by the former track coach of one of the most successful track and field programs in the world which regularly finishes nationally in X-Country, Track and Field, etc. (just won a X-Country and Indoor Track National Title) They wear Nike exclusively...

I would have to say there is a major difference between Nike spikes or racing flats between there running or training shoes. I loved there spikes but just not there running shoes.

For me asics have been the best running shoe, with brooks being in 2nd place. I've been running in the same pair of asics for almost a year and they still feel new. I run anywhere from 12-15 miles/week. What I love about the asics is that they feel broken into my foot as soon as I pu them on. Not only that, I've been able to get many more miles out of them compared to others. New Balance has been ok for me, but I won't go back. Nike sucks IMO, and wear out too quickly.

I would never run in Shox and I freely say they are garbage but to say Nike's shoes are all garbage is ignorant and flat out wrong.

Cam,

I was a runner. They're garbage.

Yes, I know the Oregon story and yes I know Prefontaine. My running style was much like his own. I understand why you're a Nike nut-hugger.

The Nikes of today's day and age are garbage. The brand became so large that to support their size, Nike outsourced their factories to China and the likes. Their shoes are now for looks and not for performance.

I haven't found a decent crosstrainer by Nike in at least 10 years.

Cam,

Yes, I know the Oregon story and yes I know Prefontaine. My running style was much like his own. I understand why you're a Nike nut-hugger.

The Nikes of today's day and age are garbage. The brand became so large that to support their size, Nike outsourced their factories to China and the likes. Their shoes are now for looks and not for performance.

Anything in the Bowerman series is great (that includes the Pegasus). I would suggest you try a pair

Have you thought about biking? Its much lower impact on your joins than running. I live 14 miles from work and have started riding once or twice a week. I'm also going to try and get in the habit of riding whenever I need to go on small errends and whatnot. When I bike to work its like working out for an hour and a half a day. It's rewarding because it wakes you up in the morning, and for me, gives a sense of independance.

Cam,

I agree completely. Asics Nimbus are what I run on.

Now if you say that about basketball, you've never warn a pair of hyperdunks.

lagearlightsleapgearturxa5.jpg

Back