supercharged intercooler?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blakwolf9666

ok so im gonna be getting a rsx s soon and was planning on getting a comptech supercharger for it (yeah i know everyone says turbos are better but im sticking with the supercharger) the thing i wanted to know though is could i put a small intercooler on and would it help? i want to get an ice box intake but they are discontinued and still expensive if you can find them. also if i do go with a intercooler do i really need to worry about hydrolock? need to know because i live in miami and in the spring/early summer it rains constantly as well as the tropical storms and such. any info would be great thanks.

There's no room to put a intercooler. For a supercharger in general, yes, but on a bolt-in setup like the Comptech kit, no(would require fabrication/modification to make room for it).

An intercooler doesn't affect whether you're at risk of hydrolock or not(it's sealed); where the intake is does.

Well I know I would have to do some fab work to fit a intercooler and that's fine but I was just wondering because I wanted to know if it would help performance wise to cool the incoming air before the charger. But the intake connects to the intercooler and the cooler is sealed? So there's no chance for hydro locking? And if I did that what would be a good cooler to use? I'm looking for something really small and black to try and keep the sleeper look

I hope you're not looking at those fake "intake-intercoolers"...an intercooler sits between the compressor and engine. Air going into the compressor is already at an ambient temperature...an intercooler would not make it any colder(the coldest it could possibly get would be air temp; and that's assuming 100% efficiency)

The Comptech setup already has the supercharger sitting between the engine and radiator/core support; so you'd have to either relocate the supercharger on the exhaust side and run custom charge pipes, or hack up the front and somehow relocating the radiator.

If you want an intercooled supercharger setup, maybe a centrifugal setup would work best.

no idea what a intake intercooler is but i was talking about a regular one like for a turbo. but if i understand from what yr saying is it wouldnt do anything for performance so i could just get a cai with a breather (forgot what those are called to prevent hydrolocking) or a sri or pony up the money for a used icebox intake(possibly a diy icebox?)

Do some more Google research on supercharging in general and intercoolers.

When air and/or air/fuel is compressed by a supercharger of any type, there is heat generated. The purpose of an intercooler is to remove some of this heat.

Since you're starting out, build it and set it up on the conservative side which will probably be in the 7-10 lbs of boost range.

You won't have any need for intercooling and it will probably hold together long enough for you to learn a little something. :)

Yeah I may just do I Cai and be done with it cause I'm not really planning on changing the boost but I was still wondering and wanted to know if there were any benefits. I've soon aftercooler kits for it but seem way too pricey to even bother with

A CAI is really marginal - I guess it's something to play with. If I was going to play with CAI, I would also change to higher performance fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

There's much to learn on forced induction.

Last edited:
Don't remember off the top of my head but I believe the kit comes with all that including bigger 330 or 450 cc injectors ... Something like that, I'm at work right now so i cant really check right now and the price for even includes k-pro reflash I believe so its all bolt on

Time out. What are you talking here? One of those axial type intake fans (CAI) that creeps up ~15-20 hp or a real supercharger?

15-20 hp can be had pretty easily. More, than that and things head towards tuning - when you mention high flow injectors, and ECU map changes that indicates lots of HP gains.

Post a link so I'm responding to what you are considering installing. :)

Whatever you do, I would suggest about 50 hp max increase for a start. Then, take it from there.

What model RSX are you starting with? Which engine option?

At this point, you don't even own the car - Buy the car and drive it a while first. Then, consider performance options.

Go through the chassis first. Wheels, tires, struts, brakes, bars, and so on. Then pump up the motor.

Last edited:
Well, not to crap on your idea. Cuz, it's fun to lookie look. This is the Cadillac of boosted horsepower. As they state, linear horsepower gain, which means pretty much flat across the torque curve.

I'm an old school roots blower type, love blown alcohol and fire belching fuel cars.

I like postive discplacment superchargers was over turbochargers - that's just personal preference and no, I don't have a boosted street car.

But, $100 per hourspower is cadillac $ for the performance. While I like conventional blowers for the way the perform over a turbo rig, especially on the street. The turbo's have it hands down for performance and a turbo setup for 50 WHP gain would be somewhat docile and not have a lot of turbo lag and such.

For the sake of bang for buck and ultimately longevity a mildly built turbocharged setup would be more cost effective.

Now, if you have $ to throw into it (roots blower) and that's what you want - it's your ride.

If you could find a used setup, and maybe have the blower freshened up. For 1/2 the price or less of a new one, then things would be more attractive in terms of bang for buck.

Have a look at a Paxton setup. Or that style, they offer the best of both worlds. Basically it's a belt driven turbocharger with an overdrive gear box. Also, look into turbo setups for the additional ~50 hp range. I don't think you could beat a Turbocharged setup overall for bang for buck in the performance range you are looking at.

Another consideration, is this going to be a project car? Or, a nice daily driver. Because, for what you're contemplating, if it's a project car that's a good way to go. The learn supercharging on a nice daily driver method, you will want a turn-key setup and not somthing you build up. Turn-key setup is lotsa $. Build and learn with a project car is a better way to go.

Ya know what? Get a beater, build up a project car, learn what you are doing while you turbo up the crap out of it, and make it phukin' scream. Leave the RSX S alone. There you have it. :)

Last edited:
Yeah its gonna be my daily driver thats why I was thinking of supercharger so when I needed a little extra power I'd have it with out sacrificing reliability or anything like that plus its not as popular so not as common to see though I could get a decent bolt on greddy kit for about the same price and the super charger I've found for about a thousand less else where

That is a nice kit you linked to. It's a Turn Key solution and a good one.

Here's the deal. What shape is the engine in? Drive train?

Really for a beginner, it's a good solution. If you really want the extra horsepower and want reliability - the trade off is $.

Maybe some of the other guys will join in here. I don't know the model car, the RSX S. I looked at one on a link, that's all.

I would also want a good fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and stainless exhaust - probably 3" for 250 hp.

Also, if it's in good shape, engine, chassis - then do the install and have it tuned to be sure it's right. Not to squeeze it, to be sure it's right - a more conservative tuneup.

I'd still research a mild turbo setup.

Last edited:
^ That is a much more sensible approach IMO.

Get car, check health of engine, then make informed decisions.

Have fun with it.

one of the things i dont really like about the turbos though is that you need to wait for the boost which kinda sucks imo plus the extra plumbing for the oil lines and you need a timer to properly cool it before its turned off ... imo that seems like a hassle lol plus the boost controls and
superchargers dont really have that problem and boost is constant and all depends on the size of the pulley
i know there is more power to be made though turbo over supercharger but i also like the idea of instant power, and was actually thinking of later on doing a dual setup (supercharger and turbo)... any ideas on that?

Last edited:
Back