Swapped out mugen ecu for obd1 p28 and lost power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigBoy

I had a obd0 pr3 mugen chipped ecu and it grabbed really hard, especially revving past 7K and shifting, the car would jerk forward hard after every shift and the wheels would spin.

I just converted to obd1 p28 and it doesnt have as much power and aggressiveness at the top end. Will tuning fix the problem? I did gain a tiny bit of midrange with the p28.

Please help us better answer your question by providing more details about your setup and/or your problem.

For example, please post the following:
  • car: year, make, model, trim
  • engine / transmission / ecu
  • basic mods list that applies or may apply to your question
  • fuel management, etc, and anything else that may apply to your question.
Also, please specify what is wrong or what you need help with EXACTLY. Doing this will help you get a better answer to your question.

Thanks,
The Moderating Team

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Aug 18 2005, 09:30 PM
Please help us better answer your question by providing more details about your setup and/or your problem.

For example, please post the following:
  • car: year, make, model, trim
  • engine / transmission / ecu
  • basic mods list that applies or may apply to your question
  • fuel management, etc, and anything else that may apply to your question.
Also, please specify what is wrong or what you need help with EXACTLY. Doing this will help you get a better answer to your question.

Thanks,
The Moderating Team
[post=542211]Quoted post[/post]​

jdm b16a
dc 4-1
2.5 cai
skunk2 stage 2
skunk2 cam gears
skunk2 valve springs
aem fuel rail
b&m fpr

Planning to tune with hondata

that "mugen" program you had in your obd0 ecu runs very lean and has very agressive timing maps which will make more power, but also take a toll on your engine. that p28 has the stock fuel and ignition maps for a 1.5l single cam motor... it's not gonna run your b16 right. get a stock obd1 b16 map and get that shit tuned asap.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Aug 18 2005, 10:44 PM
that "mugen" program you had in your obd0 ecu runs very lean and has very agressive timing maps which will make more power, but also take a toll on your engine. that p28 has the stock fuel and ignition maps for a 1.5l single cam motor... it's not gonna run your b16 right. get a stock obd1 b16 map and get that shit tuned asap.
[post=542238]Quoted post[/post]​

actually the mugen chip was making it run very rich down low and i actually lost power at vtec(4400) but made good power after 5K. I made 160 whp with that ecu on the dynojet.

I forgot to mention, my p28 is chipped for a b16. Hopefully with proper tuning it will run nicely.

Originally posted by BigBoy+Aug 18 2005, 10:53 PM-->
kylemarhx
@Aug 18 2005, 10:44 PM
[post=542238]Quoted post[/post]​

actually the mugen chip was making it run very rich down low and i actually lost power at vtec(4400) but made good power after 5K. I made 160 whp with that ecu on the dynojet.

I forgot to mention, my p28 is chipped for a b16. Hopefully with proper tuning it will run nicely.
[post=542240]Quoted post[/post]​

I think with a little tuning you will be very happy and I agree that the Mugen chip was putting a toll on your motor because it was probably not a real Mugen chip. No offense of course.

Back