tach bucking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

powerdriverh22

i swaped in a jdm h22 into my accord and everything went smothly until it came down to the dist. i went ahead and just converted the motor to an external coil . i used the accord coil and i have had some bucking problems and i can not figure out what is causing it. i know a guy who said that he can convert the motor back to the internal coil, should i do that? or do i just have a prob with the coil or something? the dist is brand new. PLEASE HELP!!

I had a similar problem on my prelude. The change over to the internal coil is pretty easy, and i havent had a problem with my tach since.

Originally posted by saleem837@Aug 6 2005, 08:12 PM
I have an internoil coil distributor on my jdm h22. The guy at honda told me that a distributor cap for an older model accord worked on my h22, so I didnt have to mount an external coil. However, I m still having tach problems. The thing does the crazy chicken dance, and sometimes I Lose power as it does this. When i give it in first gear, once in a while the car will stumble and recover???

Can anyone give me any leads to this problem. One of the guys at Honda told me I might have some wiring issue???
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

Any competent mechanic with a multimeter can test the coil. There are specs that can be easily checked.

Next, you can check the ignitor by swapping in one from another distributor. Accord and prelude parts are interchangeable here. The differences between the distributors are here:

The housings between F and H are different. Also, the shaft has differences.

The coils are different, but I believe they only have changed part numbers because of the mounting locations. They are essentially the same.

Some are internal, some are external. The right cap has to be chosen for that style.

That being said, you could convert the distributor yourself, especially if you have a couple extra dizzys laying around like I do. You need a good philips screwdriver, some snap ring pliers, a clean bench, and some patience. The internals of the distributors were not made to be replaced piece by piece. You could use A SHOT DISTRIBUTOR and not touch your good one. All of the internals are traded out in the swap anyway.
Your other choice is to just add an internal coil to your existing distributor and hack up the wiring a bit. That's no fun, so I would opt against it.

Originally posted by tab@Aug 8 2005, 12:56 PM
Any competent mechanic with a multimeter can test the coil. There are specs that can be easily checked.

Next, you can check the ignitor by swapping in one from another distributor. Accord and prelude parts are interchangeable here. The differences between the distributors are here:

The housings between F and H are different. Also, the shaft has differences.

The coils are different, but I believe they only have changed part numbers because of the mounting locations. They are essentially the same.

Some are internal, some are external. The right cap has to be chosen for that style.

That being said, you could convert the distributor yourself, especially if you have a couple extra dizzys laying around like I do. You need a good philips screwdriver, some snap ring pliers, a clean bench, and some patience. The internals of the distributors were not made to be replaced piece by piece. You could use A SHOT DISTRIBUTOR and not touch your good one. All of the internals are traded out in the swap anyway.
Your other choice is to just add an internal coil to your existing distributor and hack up the wiring a bit. That's no fun, so I would opt against it.
[post=537442]Quoted post[/post]​

went ahead and changed it over to internal coil and it wasnt too bad...no bucking anymore it works great!!! the ingnitor was bad on that one so that might have been part of the problem.

Back