Tach is jumping around like crazy!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

leonc

I have a 94 civic with a b16a sirII. The motor was running descently but the tach jumps now. If im cruising along at what should be 2500 rpm the tach will jump anywhere between 1000 and 8000rpm. If it gets past 5800 i can feel vtec engageing and its not a good feeling if your only reallly at 2500rpm. I hear that it could be my ignitor (is this the same as the ignition module). Anyone have any suggestions.

Leon

def. a distributor problem.

the tach wire is the blue wire from the distributor... first, check that its seated correctly. if not, try to diagnoss the distributor internals...

It's more than likely your ignitor going out. Do a search, there have been like 2 topics about this in the past week.

So yesterday my car wouldn't even start and I had to drive 45 minutes to airport. So i went and bought a ignitor and coil and it still wouldn't start. I check to see if was getting spark but no go. What should i check next.

Originally posted by leonc@Sep 3 2005, 10:27 AM
So yesterday my car wouldn't even start and I had to drive 45 minutes to airport. So i went and bought a ignitor and coil and it still wouldn't start. I check to see if was getting spark but no go. What should i check next.
[post=549149]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you replace the cap and rotor?

Did you check the wiring from the distributor to the ECU?

:werd:

and how did it not start? like, did it try to crank, but just wouldn't turn over-- or would nothing happen when you turn the key?

I just got back from houston today and I got it to start (I was in a hurry and forgot the rotor. I know, i'm a dumbass.) but the tach is still jumping, I replaced the ignitor and coil.

Should I just replace the whole distributor.

Leon

Originally posted by leonc@Sep 6 2005, 11:02 AM
Should I just replace the whole distributor.

Leon
[post=550182]Quoted post[/post]​

Check the wiring first then if you see nothing wrong with the wiring you may want to do that don't listen to Will :p J/K Will.
Oh I ended up replacing my whole distributor and the problem was resolved and this sounds like the same problem.

Well the wiring has to be right becuase it was running great and then it started doing this all of a sudden. Heres my dilema, I bought a new coil and a new ignitor and installed them. That didn't fix the problem and i went to take them back and they wouldn't take them. So I am out $220 already. I would hate to spend $100+ on a whole new distributor without know for sure that it is going to fix it. Really wich I had a friend around here that had one i could borrow to see if that would fix it.

Leon

Originally posted by leonc@Sep 6 2005, 11:30 AM
Well the wiring has to be right becuase it was running great and then it started doing this all of a sudden. Heres my dilema, I bought a new coil and a new ignitor and installed them. That didn't fix the problem and i went to take them back and they wouldn't take them. So I am out $220 already. I would hate to spend $100+ on a whole new distributor without know for sure that it is going to fix it. Really wich I had a friend around here that had one i could borrow to see if that would fix it.

Leon
[post=550199]Quoted post[/post]​

Mang that would be your best bet but since you don't have a friend that has one for you to try out that just sucks. I definitely don't want you to spend more money than you have to but seriously that is what was wrong with mine and it fixed it immediately. I would just hate it if it was something else though and I made you buy the dizzy. But like I said it sounds like the exact same problem I was having. Hell if you are in So. Cal you can use mine to test and make sure it will work but I don't think you are out here.

Well i really appreciate your offer but I am in New Mexico. Im trying to find one to use for test purposes as we speak. Thanks for being cool.

Leon

Back