Teh Car choice is upon meh!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GA70: 1G-GTE equipped, sold in Japan only, narrow bodied, sold from '86.5 - '89?

MA70: 7M-G(T)E equipped, body coded MA70 or MA71 (MA71 was supposed to refer to all turbo cars, but a glut of the MA70 stamped chassis thwarted this plan), wide and narrow bodied, sold in Japan ('86.5 - '90), US ('86.5 - '92) and other exports.

JZA70: 1JZ-GTE equipped, sold in Japan only from '90 - '93.

-'86.5: debut year, NA only, targa option available, Super Monitor option available, Sport Package option available (TEMS, 4.30 LSD, headlight washers)

-'87: turbo model added->turbo models got 3.91 LSD differential ratio and R154 transmission. AC condensor fan added (late model year). ABS option added.

-'88: seat belt holders added to front seats, headliner changed from vinyl to cloth, headlight pushrods threaded, rear sway bar endlinks changed to plastic construction, 3rd brake light tapered on the side (on turbo models).

-'89: transitional year from the "old" to the "new". fascia, side mirrors, spoiler, fog lights, tail lights, moulding (plastic vs. <'88 metal backed), back of vanity mirrors (cloth vs. <'88's vinyl), cloth interior pattern, ECU, TPS, climate control, gauges (160 MPH speedo, less deliniations), steering wheel and radio all changed. power recline added to driver's seat. 6 speaker stereo added, no more Super Monitor option, no more headlight washers (US only). Emergency brake and shifter boots changed to black. turbo models got a 3.73 differential ratio, addtional strengthening was added to all rear subframes. smaller TEMS actuators (faster?). TEMS no longer standard on turbo models. progressive power steering added. fully counter-balanced crank added (7M crank vs. older 6M crank), redline lowered accordingly.

-'90: rear shoulder belts added, steering wheel altered to accomdate airbag, cruise control moved off steering wheel, CD player added to stereo. seat heaters replaced TEMS in Canadian models. 1JZ-GTE 2.5L twin turbo engine replaces 7M-GTE in Japan (chassis designation changes to JZA70).

-'91: metal sunroof option added, 5 spoke wheels added. All moulding is body colored. "R" (recaro interior) version of the JZA70 added in Japan. Front upper nose emblem changed to Toyota "bullhorn". ABS standard on turbo cars.

-'92: shadow grey interior added, 10 speaker stereo optional. no NA cars sold in Canada.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Dec 13 2003, 11:59 PM
GA70: 1G-GTE equipped, sold in Japan only, narrow bodied, sold from '86.5 - '89?

MA70: 7M-G(T)E equipped, body coded MA70 or MA71 (MA71 was supposed to refer to all turbo cars, but a glut of the MA70 stamped chassis thwarted this plan), wide and narrow bodied, sold in Japan ('86.5 - '90), US ('86.5 - '92) and other exports.

JZA70: 1JZ-GTE equipped, sold in Japan only from '90 - '93.

-'86.5: debut year, NA only, targa option available, Super Monitor option available, Sport Package option available (TEMS, 4.30 LSD, headlight washers)

-'87: turbo model added->turbo models got 3.91 LSD differential ratio and R154 transmission. AC condensor fan added (late model year). ABS option added.

-'88: seat belt holders added to front seats, headliner changed from vinyl to cloth, headlight pushrods threaded, rear sway bar endlinks changed to plastic construction, 3rd brake light tapered on the side (on turbo models).

-'89: transitional year from the "old" to the "new". fascia, side mirrors, spoiler, fog lights, tail lights, moulding (plastic vs. <'88 metal backed), back of vanity mirrors (cloth vs. <'88's vinyl), cloth interior pattern, ECU, TPS, climate control, gauges (160 MPH speedo, less deliniations), steering wheel and radio all changed. power recline added to driver's seat. 6 speaker stereo added, no more Super Monitor option, no more headlight washers (US only). Emergency brake and shifter boots changed to black. turbo models got a 3.73 differential ratio, addtional strengthening was added to all rear subframes. smaller TEMS actuators (faster?). TEMS no longer standard on turbo models. progressive power steering added. fully counter-balanced crank added (7M crank vs. older 6M crank), redline lowered accordingly.

-'90: rear shoulder belts added, steering wheel altered to accomdate airbag, cruise control moved off steering wheel, CD player added to stereo. seat heaters replaced TEMS in Canadian models. 1JZ-GTE 2.5L twin turbo engine replaces 7M-GTE in Japan (chassis designation changes to JZA70).

-'91: metal sunroof option added, 5 spoke wheels added. All moulding is body colored. "R" (recaro interior) version of the JZA70 added in Japan. Front upper nose emblem changed to Toyota "bullhorn". ABS standard on turbo cars.

-'92: shadow grey interior added, 10 speaker stereo optional. no NA cars sold in Canada.

holy :worthy: :worthy:

Originally posted by FFCiv@Dec 13 2003, 11:39 PM
out of the 3 which is fastest in the quarter? which has best handling? 0-60? Lightest?

Hate to quote myself but anyones know any of these

Originally posted by FFCiv+Dec 14 2003, 11:33 AM-->
@Dec 13 2003, 11:39 PM
out of the 3 which is fastest in the quarter? which has best handling? 0-60? Lightest?

I don't know, but whatever you buy... keep the racing on the track. I don't want to read a post next year about you wiping out on a road.

I'd recommend an eg hatch or a teg. They are reliable, easy to work on and handle extremely well. I just bought my GS-R for $2500.

i don't plan on doing ANY street racing at all. just hopefully some code whiting

out of all those that have been listed the MR2's probably the fastest and lightest
i agree with 94RedSiGal, if you want a sporty first car go with an integra GS-R. honda reliability, safer than what you listed and probably faster.

Originally posted by FFCiv@Dec 14 2003, 12:05 PM
i don't plan on doing ANY street racing at all. just hopefully some code whiting

The Code White season isn't all that long... so don't buy a car just for that. Buy a civic or a teg and come autocrossing with us in the spring, summer and fall of next year. Don't forget to buy a helmet either which way.

s13s, s14s and supras aren't good at autocross?
I really want RWD is the only thing for mad JDM Dr1ft Y0 ;)

Originally posted by FFCiv@Dec 14 2003, 10:13 PM
I never said anything about a MR2. I really need a 4-5 seater

Why? At your age and driving experience, having passengers in the car with you is a BAD distraction. Then you also get to be the free taxi service for all of your friends.

Well in my area, there's a "1994 Honda Civic Si, 154,000 Miles, Excellent Condition, Blue Book Value $3,375, asking $2,400 or Best Offer." Good thing it isn't white, I want a white one...

Del sol with the b16

-B16 (160hp)
-Targa top
-Honda (reliable)
-Insurance isnt high at all
-Easy to get for 3k

a del sol VTEC for $3k?????????? where the hell are you finding that price???? they still go for 6+ here

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 15 2003, 02:13 AM
a del sol VTEC for $3k?????????? where the hell are you finding that price???? they still go for 6+ here

high miles <_< but an SI you can get for around 3k

Originally posted by FFCiv+Dec 14 2003, 05:33 PM-->
Originally posted by FFCiv@Dec 13 2003, 11:39 PM

Aside from lightest, these things don't usually fall into the sub $3000 range.

sportlinecrx Posted on Dec 15 2003
@ 08:18 AM
if those are what you are looking for in a car, get a crx.

My thoughts exactly.

bah, sorry guys but I sorta hate how crx's look. and my parents
want me to get a 4-5 seater caus i have 2 little brothers and a little sister, all of whom play sports. It will greatly help my parents for me to help give them rides because my dad got a new job where he has to do alot of traveling and my mom just finished her student teachign and is going to teach 1st grade.

get a mirage coupe, or four door. i recommend the 93-96, but you can get the 97+ for ~5k. very rare to find is the 1.8L sohc. - its also distributorless.

cheap, respond better than hondas to mods, and come with torque. just a hair heavier than a 2g crx Si. you must have the 5 speed, cuz the auto sucks. these suckers get great gas mileage also.

my 1.5L sohc stock, 92hp, 122tq. mine's more than that though.

the pre-93 1.5L has less emissions under the hood, and comes in a hatch also.. albeit a hair boxier than the 4g civic hatch, but much much lighter. if you ever decide to turbo, it would be much cheaper than turboing a honda - as do the blocks withstand more boost, 12psi daily on stock internals at 150k for me in the spring. my goal is 200whp for under 1k.

the aftermarket for the mirage is as good if not better than for the civic.

i paid $1300 for mine, great condition has a bit of rust on the roof but thats it. paint was in great shape had a few dings. in 3 months ive put nearly 15k miles on the car with no problems whatsoever. with 3k to spend, you could buy a mint 4g coupe or 4dr (like mine) and have money left over for tires, shocks, and a few mods.

Back