The Office Chair thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Does anyone use in-ear headphones for calls / meetings?

I had a Plantronics Legend but seemed to lost it last weekend. Worked great for my needs and the mute button was awesome for calls at home awhen my daughter was around or walking the dog, etc... Now I need to find a replacement. Most of my coworkers use the ipod pros. I was thinking of picking up the Sony WF-1000XM3 in ears.

I've just been using my laptop speakers/mic. i have a closed area in the house, though for my office so no bg noise. They gave us jabra over-ears, but they are too bulky and since i can't hear myself, i end up screaming like a half-deaf guy on calls with them on. I feel the same way about in-ears - i just don't like them.

I got my wife a knock off air pod set from Anker and she loves 'em. I've used them, they work pretty good.
no sense spending 200 bucks on that crapple scam.
I had a coupon code and paid $47 for it last year.

I've just been using my laptop speakers/mic. i have a closed area in the house, though for my office so no bg noise. They gave us jabra over-ears, but they are too bulky and since i can't hear myself, i end up screaming like a half-deaf guy on calls with them on. I feel the same way about in-ears - i just don't like them.

I got my wife a knock off air pod set from Anker and she loves 'em. I've used them, they work pretty good.
no sense spending 200 bucks on that crapple scam.
https://www.focuscamera.com/anker-soundcore-liberty-air-true-wireless-in-ear-headphones-white.html
I had a coupon code and paid $47 for it last year.

Took your advise and looked at the Anker. I have a few of their cords, chargers, and batteries already. I ended up with some Anker Soundcore Life P2 from amazon. Open box for like $25.

Tried them out today. Work great so far. Have 4 mics total, and so far people say they can't hear any background noise and can hear me well.

another save from spending 5x as much on an inferior apple product
considering I just lost my plantronics headset, the purchase needed to be cheap. I don't want to lose anything spendy. So far so good.

Sooooooooooooo B

I bought a Secretlab Titan. Love it. Good for 8 hours straight and then "oh shit I forgot to eat breakfast."

For headset I've been using a Steelseries Arctis 1 wireless. Sub 40ms latency for good gaming, battery life for 20+ hours, comfortable for all-day use on a 7 5/8 head after swapping out to Wicked earpads, or I think they're called that. USB C transmitter works with phones. No bluetooth, didn't want that interference and latency on a headset that will also be used for gaming and heated debates.

That's the chair I've had for 7 or 8 years.

The chair itself is decent enough for the price point. But the arm rest pads kinda suck and the foam will eventually crack if you lean on your elbows a lot. That's really my only complaint about it.

My wife works from home and has horrific lower back problems, any suggestions on what offers good support for that but isn't super expensive?

My wife works from home and has horrific lower back problems, any suggestions on what offers good support for that but isn't super expensive?
Hard to say what one person will find comfortable vs the next, especially if one has specific issues with back pain etc...

Generally speaking I'd opt for something mesh. I find they stand up better over time than foams that tend to collapse. The airflow also tends to be more comfortable (less swampy) over time. And I'd look for something with as much adjustment as you can find / afford.

If she has issues with sitting in standard chairs for long times. There are also other alternatives... stand up or height adjustable desks will offer variety of standing / sitting. If that is not in the cards there are also things like kneeling chairs or saddle chairs that might offer a more preferable "seating" position

Chairs can be tricky, what looks good or feels good for 5 min in the store might suck ass after 6 hours at home. Alternately the chair that has the ability to be adjusted to a more custom fit might feel like crap until you take the time to make the adjustments, then it fits like a bespoke suit.

Craigslist used to be a great place to find $800-$1600 professional office chairs for about 1/4 their normal cost ($200 Herman Miller Aerons were common).

Unfortunately when the coof hit, and everyone one got sent to work from home, the prices went up to double or triple what they were and are too close to new prices to justify for used.

As stuff calms the hell down, prices should fall back in line, but the time table on that is anyone's guess.

I really want to try one of those kneeling type chairs.
tight hamstrings pulling at the lower back always seems to get me during tax season in a normal office chair.

Hard to say what one person will find comfortable vs the next, especially if one has specific issues with back pain etc...

Generally speaking I'd opt for something mesh. I find they stand up better over time than foams that tend to collapse. The airflow also tends to be more comfortable (less swampy) over time. And I'd look for something with as much adjustment as you can find / afford.

If she has issues with sitting in standard chairs for long times. There are also other alternatives... stand up or height adjustable desks will offer variety of standing / sitting. If that is not in the cards there are also things like kneeling chairs or saddle chairs that might offer a more preferable "seating" position

Chairs can be tricky, what looks good or feels good for 5 min in the store might suck ass after 6 hours at home. Alternately the chair that has the ability to be adjusted to a more custom fit might feel like crap until you take the time to make the adjustments, then it fits like a bespoke suit.

Why is this the most reasonable and well rounded response I've seen from E?
I really want to try one of those kneeling type chairs.
tight hamstrings pulling at the lower back always seems to get me during tax season in a normal office chair.
I had one of those for a few years (inherited from a previous cube owner). It did help a bit loosen up my quads and free my lower back. I was pretty fluffy at the time and my core sucked.

Why is this the most reasonable and well rounded response I've seen from E?
E is one of the few people that seem to know a little something about just about anything.
If you have a purchase to make, highly recommended to run it by him.
E-sumer E-ports.
bike shorts, electronics, assorted hardware.

Try a yoga ball.

my wife has one and switches off between her chair and the ball all day

The kneeling desk is something i've wanted to try. As a Kid, i would always kneel and use my bed as a desk. I still would if i didn't hurt my old knees so much :D But, i don't think it's going to help with the hammy's. They are still 90* bend or even more.

Best thing to do is get up and walk around.

I keep a small cup on my desk for water. it's like 6 oz. Makes me get up to refill a LOT more than if i had a gallon jug like i see some folks use.

Best thing to do is get up and walk around.

I keep a small cup on my desk for water. it's like 6 oz. Makes me get up to refill a LOT more than if i had a gallon jug like i see some folks use.
We're getting up. It's to take a piss. My bladder is 6 oz.

Small GIF by memecandy

Back