The REAL engine swap for a 240...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by adnoh@Jul 19 2005, 06:55 PM

:lol: Gimme a break dude. There is a plethora of 9 and 10 second 240's and Skylines out there running the RB26DETT - Single Turbo setups that are more than streetable.

Here is one:

9 second street legal GTR

Just google it man. I'm not denying the fact that it will, obviously, be more expensive considering all the parts have to come from Japan for the most part.

I dunno man, the way i reacted to this 240 of your buddies is the same way I'd react to a SBC in an EG hatch....cool and all, but ya didn't have to look past Honda to get that kind of performance.

in Japan Signal Auto’s Skyline is street-legal.

but not in America...
It may have came here, but was never on the street...it was always towed, and brought over as a show car...not as a register streetable car. ;)

It sit's now in the back of the Signal shop in Japan...and that was a long time ago when I saw that exact car.

plus once any owner tunes up his US registered MOTOREX Skyline for any other setting than what was set by Motorex...then it will not be legally street legal anymore... ;)

agj.jpg

aga.sized.jpg

Way in the back corner B) :lol:

Im lovin the SBC. This entire conversation would be over with a blower sticking out infront of that windshield. A turbo would be cool, but i dont think id want to figure out how to run a turbo on a carbed engine (if it can be done)

There's a guy on the Hybrid Z forums who runs a carbed twin-turbo 383.

He made a sealed aluminum box to house the carb that acts like a plenum. Seals the carb in a pressurized environment.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jul 21 2005, 10:20 AM
Im lovin the SBC. This entire conversation would be over with a blower sticking out infront of that windshield. A turbo would be cool, but i dont think id want to figure out how to run a turbo on a carbed engine (if it can be done)
[post=529434]Quoted post[/post]​

There are a few different ways to turbo a carb setup... I've actually seen a setup where the carb is BEFORE the turbos.. On a Twin Turbo '64 impala. :huh:

There is also what's called a "hot box", which is a box that you install the carb inside of, then seal up. Works great because the whole carb gets pressurized i guess, but is a BITCH to tune, because everytime you want to adjust the jets you have to take the cover off the box.

Then, there is a "carb hat" that is just that.. Its a little hat that goes over the top, just like an intake tube would...

First, and foremost, WHEN DID THIS POST GET TURNED INTO A COST VS. POWER DISCUSSION????????............AGAIN!!!!!

Seriously, WHO THE FUCK CARES how much either setup would be????

And since when did the SBC become the see all, end all of engines? It ain't. Sorry. They are way better motors that place much higher on the food chain......domestic and foreign.

Wanna know why I drive an Import???? Well, I'm gunna tell you anyways.... First off cuz I'm not a fucking Hick. Second, because the old days of pushrod V8's and big blocks and displacement are OVER...like 30 years ago. We all know the recipie of throwing a V8 on anything that has wheels...it's been done to practically EVERY car on the planet. Wow...a short block on a 240.......cool car, and props to owner but WHOOP-DEE-DOO!!! In my opinion he just picked the easy way out....."well, I'm bored of this engine and I wanna go faster....lets throw a short block in it" Try working on an SR20 or something like that and building a 9-second four banger.....THAT, actually takes some talent and finesse. Sure it's more expensive but whatever. Newer technology is more expensive period. Third, and why I drive a Honda, is bragging rights when I blow the crap out of a car with 4 times my displacement. Isn't this why alot of people drive Honda's and import sport compacts? It's brains over brawns.....instead of making things bigger, it's making things more efficient.

So instead of acting like this SBC 240 is the best idea in the world and truly one of a kind......It AIN'T...sorry. As I said from the beginning, props to him, it's a cool car and will be fast, but NO THANKS. It's a lazy ass attempt at being fast.

I'm sorry to argue, but thats how I feel.

You have rights to your opinions. I'm just coming from the school of "more power for your money". Nothing can beat an SBC in that category.

Some of us can't afford 3 Hondas, including an '05 Type-S.

And if you want technology bang for your buck... You can't beat an LS1... Pushrod v8, Programmable EFI, and in some cases, 25-30mpg depending on the application... :)

As far as building a 9 second SR20... How reliable would it be... Ya know, I LOVED my turbo Si... But every time i drove it, i couldn't enjoy it... I couldn't listen to the radio, because i had to listen to the motor, wondering if it was gonna ping, detonate, etc... Yeah, it was fast... But if you can't enjoy the drive... whats the point? Thats why I'd LOVE a smallblock..

And if you wanted ULTIMATE TOP OF THE TOP, BEST OF THE BEST swap, i'd take a 240sx, and drop in an LS7 w/ 6 speed, independent C6 Vette Rearend, cage it, and do a 5 lug swap so that I could roll it on some Z06 wheels... :drool:

cool car...........

and on the whole car leaving a bike @ 100mph .........I CALL BULLSH!T...!!!!!!!!!!
the only freaking way is if the person on the bike did not even try. I have a R1 and have had a lot of exotic and high end sports cars try to pull on me and DIDN'T HAPPEN

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 21 2005, 05:20 PM
And if you want technology bang for your buck... You can't beat an LS1... Pushrod v8, Programmable EFI, and in some cases, 25-30mpg depending on the application... :)

As far as building a 9 second SR20... How reliable would it be... Ya know, I LOVED my turbo Si... But every time i drove it, i couldn't enjoy it... I couldn't listen to the radio, because i had to listen to the motor, wondering if it was gonna ping, detonate, etc... Yeah, it was fast... But if you can't enjoy the drive... whats the point? Thats why I'd LOVE a smallblock..

And if you wanted ULTIMATE TOP OF THE TOP, BEST OF THE BEST swap, i'd take a 240sx, and drop in an LS7 w/ 6 speed, independent C6 Vette Rearend, cage it, and do a 5 lug swap so that I could roll it on some Z06 wheels... :drool:
[post=529627]Quoted post[/post]​

I like the way this man thinks!

I'm doing basically a "budget version" of what you're talking about...

'76 280Z, early-casting Ford 460(aluminum intake, holley 780), C6 automatic w/stage 1 shift kit, 6-point rollbar, gusseted frame rails, and at some point a 9" Ford rearend.

Just to get the car on the road with the 460 I'm going to be in it under 4k. That's with the engine and trans done and installed.

I'ma run high 12s :D

Originally posted by adnoh@Jul 21 2005, 03:33 PM
So instead of acting like this SBC 240 is the best idea in the world and truly one of a kind......It AIN'T...sorry. As I said from the beginning, props to him, it's a cool car and will be fast, but NO THANKS. It's a lazy ass attempt at being fast.

I'm sorry to argue, but thats how I feel.
[post=529571]Quoted post[/post]​

...and for that you are a moron.

you know how you make a sr20 go faster...... add boost.... past that you arent going to do a whole lot to help it. the turbo runs out before the stock internals have anything to worry about..... so fuel system and good tune and you have your 9s.... in a gutted car that isnt street legal, and is worthless to everyone including yourself cuz you just spent upwards of 6grand. THATS FUCKING RETARDED! turbo what its got and then I might give a shit.

there is a simple reason to get a motor that has more displacement ..... because its HELL of a lot cheaper to go a HELL of a lot faster.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 22 2005, 03:39 PM
I like the way this man thinks!

I'm doing basically a "budget version" of what you're talking about...

'76 280Z, early-casting Ford 460(aluminum intake, holley 780), C6 automatic w/stage 1 shift kit, 6-point rollbar, gusseted frame rails, and at some point a 9" Ford rearend.

Just to get the car on the road with the 460 I'm going to be in it under 4k. That's with the engine and trans done and installed.

I'ma run high 12s :D
[post=529958]Quoted post[/post]​

Ford, Yuck. :p Anyways though... 460's are nice... but thats a HEAVY ASS MOTOR... Why not try to source a 4.6 and convert it to carb'd if you have to go ford? ;) Or hell.. Go Slant 6 nigra!!! :worthy: :worthy: j/k.

And just a general update for you guys... He did shakedown runs tonight...
1st run.. 11.8 @ 100mph
2nd run.. 10.92 @ 122mph

This is SHAKEDOWNS, UNTUNED, OUT OF THE BOX! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I normally don't prefer Fords either, but the 429 and 460 are some good ass engines. I know it's heavy, but I'm gonna either pull it out for a turbo-4 or put aluminum heads on it eventually.

Originally posted by tip@Jul 21 2005, 11:29 PM
cool car...........

and on the whole car leaving a bike @ 100mph .........I CALL BULLSH!T...!!!!!!!!!!
the only freaking way is if the person on the bike did not even try. I have a R1 and have had a lot of exotic and high end sports cars try to pull on me and DIDN'T HAPPEN
[post=529697]Quoted post[/post]​

You are an idiot. I have the video of Darius's 600hp 280z banging the shit out of an R1. I have seen multiple video's of supras and civics smoking bikes and Have seen it at the track as well. That CFT civic si would eat your R1 for lunch.

Back