Thinking about a Jetta

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
post-25-1078210464.jpg

Thoughts? Comments?

Basically, I have to get a 4dr 5 speed under $7k. this is up for with the option of a trade. very clean, i just took a bad picture at 10pm tonight.

if you know of any major problems with Jettas, let me know. this model is the VR6.
i know about the glovebox, trim, and some electrical issues. but as far as i've read, the engine is strong. 170 hp & tq

the vr6 is a good motor, but its a gas hog... nothing you're not used to with the crustang.

im going to stay out of it more than this, cuz, i hate volkswagen.

1.8t's weren't built yet in that gen, and you're not going to find a 1.8t car for 7k. come on

Yeah a V-6 engine would be a gas guzzler. 170hp? Well my GS-R has the same hp rating and is a 4-door sedan w/a 5-speed tranny plus it's a Honda. Price: $2500.

Not bashing VW's but they just don't seem as reliable in the long run. And not as easy to work on from what friends have told me.

Volkswagens are gay. Bottom line. If you want a four-door quality car, buy a GS-R or a Maxima or something from Subaru.

i dont think you should be asking honda people about VWs
most of them dont know shit about them
go to www.vwvortex.com
they know VWs
read around there
see what the issues with that year and engine are
ask questions, etc.... they will be able to help you a lot more

I used to own a 98 VR6, I loved the car, it was a good cruising car. Stick with a VR6 model you will be happier with that model. The car does not get as good gas milage as say a honda does, but that is to be expected with a german car. There are a lot of good mods to do to the car, first thing I did to mine was the suspension, as the stock suspension was super soft, and the car had a lot of body roll to it stock. The other thing is working on Jetta motors especially VR6 motors is a bitch, and I mean a real bitch, nothing is easy to get to, I spent a weekend getting the damn headers and exaust in. Other than that stuff the car ran awesome, no major problems in the 25,000 miles I had it. The interior is super comfortable, not race seats or anything, but more luxo style on the interior. Chicks dig the car, but that is because a lot of people label it as a "chick car" I still loved it and miss it. Had it not been totaled I would have auto-x'd it. I have seen them at the auto-x's and they do fairly well, I have seen some VR6's lay down so times that are up there with the swap hondas.
Good luck man, the VR6 is a pretty sweet ride.

my friend had that same jetta, not vr6 though.. my sister has the 01 jetta vr6. the vr6 is a great motor, funky design, like almost inline 6 but not quite v6, they're staggard but use only one head... they make lots of torque, pretty fun to drive. yes they have tons of body roll, and both my friend and my sister have been having electrical issues with the car.

my mom has a 99 Jetta (still 3rd gen) wolfsburg...basically it's a GL with the sport package. Anyway, we've had a few issues with it:

Clutch goes out at around 60K (and with my mom's driving, it is way too early)
Had to replace the windshield fluid bottle 3 times!
Electrical problems such as blinkers, and power windows.
Tires need to be changed every year for some reason. (my friend has a 97 GL and the same tire problem)

Other than that it's a pretty nice car. And the torque of the VR6 is really nice for cruising.

I say go for it :)

oh and i forgot, the rear brakes... for some reason the rear pads wear out in like 1/3 the time the front ones do. and they are a PAIN IN THE ASS to replace... getting that damn piston back into the rear caliper... grrrrr....

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Mar 2 2004, 01:56 AM
Yeah a V-6 engine would be a gas guzzler. 170hp? Well my GS-R has the same hp rating and is a 4-door sedan w/a 5-speed tranny plus it's a Honda. Price: $2500.

Not bashing VW's but they just don't seem as reliable in the long run. And not as easy to work on from what friends have told me.

I have a GT. 215hp 285tq. it is a gas guzzler. 15 mpg every 5 days when i fill up.

the guy with the jetta won't do a trade, i'd only get 'trade in value' from him. so i think i'll put the mustang in the paper maybe next week and see if it'll sell. i don't think the jetta will be going anywhere soon.

VW's are nice cars, but as others said, they are a bitch to work at. Not the best example, but my freind with a turbo bug bought an upgrade turbo from VW performance group (gotta love when a manufactor sells shit like that) and just to get your hand on the turbo was impossible, no less unbolt it and put the other one on. We worked on that thing all weekend. What a bitch.

Originally posted by Prowler@Mar 2 2004, 12:51 PM
I have a GT. 215hp 285tq. it is a gas guzzler. 15 mpg every 5 days when i fill up.

Poor mileage will stay with you long after the happy glow of the honeymoon period of buying a "new" car. With gas prices climbing, it could be even more of an annoyance. It also makes a $5K car cost you significantly more in the long run.

GS-R's get great gas mileage when you need them to... it's all a matter of how you drive. A V-6 will only guzzle gas.

Back