Thinking about a new exhaust set-up... Again....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
So the car started with a Tsudo 2.5" catback with an N1. Far too loud, sounded like shit with the silencer on it.

Earlier this summer I had a Vibrant Sleeper muffler welded on to the existing set-up. Thought it was a chambered muffler, turned out it was straight through as well. Still not all that loud, but probably won't pass inspection which I'm due for this month. Terrible drone on the highway though, worse than the N1. Figured I'd grab a silencer to pass inspection. Can't find one for a 3" tip. Go figure.

So now I'm thinking, which always ends badly. Thought about getting a Cherry Bomb Glasspack to replace the existing resonator and pray it quiets down the exhaust. Then I was looking at Cherry Bomb's website(Cherry Bomb Exhaust :: High Performance Exhaust Systems, Cat-Back Systems, Mufflers and Glasspacks :: Disturbing the Peace Since 1968) and saw their Turbo model muffler. So now I'm thinking a Glasspack and this new muffler. I don't know though. I don't want to put all this money into this and still not get the sound I want. I'm looking for a little bit louder than stock. I'm sick of going deaf on the highway.

Can't go back to stock either. I don't have it and frankly, I don't want it.

Looking for comments, opinions, and maybe an experience or two.

well over the many years that ive been modding cars, ive done it all. and the past few years ive spent the extra money and got a real and good name brand catback, and i will never again do a put together system/ muffler shop.

With my CRX, I had a 3" Carsound Cat, 2.5" piping, and a 2.5" Magnaflow muffler.. It was too loud, so I went back and had them install the longest 2.5" glasspack they had.. I think it was like 30 inches. Toned down the exhaust nicely and was quite pleasant after that. The magnaflow was baffled though.

i have a 3inch silencer at the house, pay shipping and its yours.

For the moment I'll take you up on that Turbo. PM me how much and your paypal or whatever.

With my CRX, I had a 3" Carsound Cat, 2.5" piping, and a 2.5" Magnaflow muffler.. It was too loud, so I went back and had them install the longest 2.5" glasspack they had.. I think it was like 30 inches. Toned down the exhaust nicely and was quite pleasant after that. The magnaflow was baffled though.
I know it will quiet it down I just don't know how much, hence the possible new muffler too.

let me doublecheck that i still have it :thumbsup: or you could always roll up here and pick it up.

I'm going to be muffler shopping pretty soon.. Would love to hear one of these on a honda:

Flowmaster Hushpower..
product_photo-large_image-141.jpg

HP-2 Series Mufflers - 409S - Hushpower

And its so small, I might be able to sneak it in after the cat in the mid-body, and pipe it straight out the back.. That would shave off around 10 pounds compared to a normal setup...

let me doublecheck that i still have it :thumbsup: or you could always roll up here and pick it up.
It's like 8 hours or something to go up there. Plus I'm on vacation next week.

HushPower looks cool but damn that's expensive. I wouldn't pay that for both Cherry Bomb pieces. Then the labor would be the same. I really just need to get a welder and experiment with all of it.

Last edited:
all straightpipe for the win. j/k.

magnaflow exhausts have the most mellow tone that i've found, next to a few flowmasters.

I had a resonator in front of that muffler before, and I honestly can say that my car sounded really good. There was no rasp, and almost no droning. If that silencer doesn't do what you want, I'd say go for the cherry bomb, or something from magnaflow.
I'd make more recommendations, but my whole exhaust got burned out from high EGT's XD

well over the many years that ive been modding cars, ive done it all. and the past few years ive spent the extra money and got a real and good name brand catback, and i will never again do a put together system/ muffler shop.

:werd:

If you add up the cost of the Tsudo N1, plus the Vibrant muffler, plus the cost of the Cherry Bomb stuff, you probably could have just had a nice Greddy or Apex'i exhaust to begin with....

When my psudo catback for the Camaro rusted at the axle I in a pinch threw a $20 Thrush tube style glasspack. Even with nothing beyond that piece exiting mid car it was quieter than my full exhaust with a single flowmaster. Thatll quiet it down for sure, still flow well, and you can pick them up at Auto Zone.

Whats up with that N1?

My gsr civic has a stock header going into a cherry bomb then exits out of a skunk2 catback. It is much quieter, less raspy, and far less drony than when I had the same catback mounted to a small resonated test pipe. I was really suprised with how well it worked, and you can't beat the price. I can't say anything on the durability of the part. As fas as I know it might not last the winter. All it is is painted steel.

Back