This question will prolly piss most of you off

• Thread starter Thread starter 85crxhf2si
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 714

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

85crxhf2si

sorry for sounding stupid. I've heard of vtec since it came out, and I know vtec stands for valve timing electronic control. but I want to know exactly what goes on when vtec is activated. does it really change the valve timing? how do you do that with the engine running? is it just valve timing? or what other changes occur? I'm not hating on vtec, i am interested in what it does, however, i've ridden in 2 or 3 vtec hondas, some with some mods done to them, and I feel no power gain at all when they go into vtec. they got louder, but didn't seem to pull any harder.

Quoted post[/post]]
sorry for sounding stupid. I've heard of vtec since it came out, and I know vtec stands for valve timing electronic control. but I want to know exactly what goes on when vtec is activated. does it really change the valve timing? how do you do that with the engine running? is it just valve timing? or what other changes occur? I'm not hating on vtec, i am interested in what it does, however, i've ridden in 2 or 3 vtec hondas, some with some mods done to them, and I feel no power gain at all when they go into vtec. they got louder, but didn't seem to pull any harder.
Look at the diff on the dyno, its not always noticable while you're in the car
Alot will get louder
A good explanation is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC
but not a great illustration though

My VTEC on my B16 was clogged and i didnt realize it never worked so when i fixed it and the solenoid was up and running i felt it. i was like wow O_O. it gave vibration,noise and power. a little pull 5000 rpm and over. it does help alot.

lol. what does vtec do? Two main versions - vtec and i-vtec. VTEC basically works off a set of sensors on your engine, and at a certain engine speed, throttle position, and engine load, will switch from one set of cam lobes (primaries) to a larger lobe that allows for more duration and lift of the valves. So yes, it mechanically changes the valve lift and timing by switching to a different set of lobes. i-vtec takes it a bit farther and I believe will not only perform the same duties as the normal vtec, i.e. the cam lobe switch, but will also advance and retard the cam timing. Basically, what we all do with adjustable cam gears on our b-series engines is done by the computer automatically on the k-series engines. Sorry, no cool graphics here, but check out the how vtec works video. I'm sure there is a link to it on the site somewhere.

Back