Took out pistons, now what do I do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I've pulled the pistons from my 91 HF. Mostly to replace the rings. But now Ive heard several other things I should replace. Washers, bearings.

What all do I need? I know I need the rod bearings, are there any other washers or bearings that MUST be replaced?

Ive been told I should have the bottom end machined/assembled. Is this a must/should/just dependent on the condition?

What is rehoning a cylinder? is that a machine shop job?

Originally posted by Periculum@Jul 15 2005, 12:47 AM
I've pulled the pistons from my 91 HF. Mostly to replace the rings. But now Ive heard several other things I should replace. Washers, bearings.

What all do I need? I know I need the rod bearings, are there any other washers or bearings that MUST be replaced?

Ive been told I should have the bottom end machined/assembled. Is this a must/should/just dependent on the condition?

What is rehoning a cylinder? is that a machine shop job?
[post=526523]Quoted post[/post]​

if you replace the rings, it would be silly not to get it honed by a good machine shop. I'd not replace the bearings if you don't have to. Just get some plastiguage, and check to see that the bearings are still within spec, and then just clean, lube, reassemble. I hope you are using a helms or manual of some sort at least. Are you?

Got a haynes handy, and the advice of a few people who have done it. Do I lube the pistons with fresh oil? after Ive clened them? someone also told me to do something with the piston pins, but I havent separated them from the rod and didnt really intend to.

Originally posted by Periculum@Jul 15 2005, 11:02 AM
Got a haynes handy, and the advice of a few people who have done it. Do I lube the pistons with fresh oil? after Ive clened them? someone also told me to do something with the piston pins, but I havent separated them from the rob and didnt really intend to.
[post=526752]Quoted post[/post]​

Is the block out of the car? if so, I'd take it down to a machine shop and have them hone it, it's cheap insurance that the new rings will seal properly. I'm sure your haynes will say to put a light coat f oil on the cylinder walls prior to installation of the pistons, and that shouyld be sufficient, but double check. You are also going to have to gap your rings. Your haynes should tell you how to do that as welll. If not, then throw it in the trash and burn it, then go and buy a helms. It is a good investment, I will say the difference between helms ad haynes is night and day, I've had both of them.
You could also hone it yourself, but if you plan on doing it, make sure you get some help here before you do it, especialy if your engine is still i the car, there are a few tricks to doing it right.

Still got the block in in the car and was hoping to keep it there, but like I said, I dug a deeper hole than I thought I would. I bought the haynes cause they seem to have a monopoly around here, so much so that Ive never seen a chiltons and never heard of helms till now.

Personally, If you have the block ripped apart, peplace the rod/main bearing and the thrust washers (if you have them) Also clean you oil pick up out. I mean when i replaced my piston rings, i replaced every gasket/seal all the bearing and everything else. you already have ti apart you mine as well

Originally posted by smooth_criminal@Jul 15 2005, 11:19 AM
Personally, If you have the block ripped apart, peplace the rod/main bearing and the thrust washers (if you have them) Also clean you oil pick up out. I mean when i replaced my piston rings, i replaced every gasket/seal all the bearing and everything else. you already have ti apart you mine as well
[post=526770]Quoted post[/post]​

whatever you can afford to replace in the bottom end sealwise, I'd do it, but if bearings are within spec, I'd not worry about them.

autozone.com has a free repair section that may supplement your haynes manual

if this is a budget job just look into getting a hone and do it yourself...

The haynes does have a section on honing. This is somewhat of a budget job, but not because i dont have money, just cause im stingy with it. If I wanted to shell out money I would have just gone with the ZC swap.

I didnt see any thrust washers. Should I just get the bearings from honda or another place online maybe?

How do I clean the oil pickup out? take it off or just let it drip?

You need to use a plasti-gauge to measure clearances to determine if you neeed standard/oversized... You shoulda really micropolish the crank if you're installing new bearings.

im assuming that this is a daily driveer/beater and you dont race it since it is a hf. now this is what i would do ive seen many d-series that have been taken apart and the bearing are perfect. since you still have the motor in the car you cant replace anything but the rod bearings. so just rering it and put another xxxxxx amount of miles on it and be done.

It is a beater, but I looked at one of the rod bearings and there was a nasty looking groove in it. I havent been able to check the crankshaft yet. I was warned by another CRX guy i know to make sure the bearings are at least within spec. he claims the engine will start knocking (in <1k mi)if I dont put new bearings in.

I can raplce the main bearings as well, cant I? I havent checked them yet or taken those off. Considering that the rod bearings werent too bad, only one was worn to a bronze color the rest were a little worn over the silver color.

Back