TPS fixed, still wont rev

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

autox19

So swapping the outside wires on the TPS sensor fixed the first issue. the CEL doesnt come on any more. But it still hits a rev limiter type cutout at 3700-4000 rpm. After I swapped the wires, I unhooked the battery for about 3 minutes to clear the CEL. I thought this should clear the "limp mode" that I thought it was in.

I am baffled on what to try next.

Some of the Info:
JDM B16a ODB1 ECU and Dizzy. Adapter harnesses for both ECU and Dizzy to connect to the stock wiring harness.

Odie

Is there a way to test for it? I would hate to get one and find out I still have the same issue. Or is this one of those parts the only way to test is to replace?

Odie

More info, this is from the listing I bought it from:

B16a2 engine: JDM TYTE YO
twin sprung titanium valve springs
titanium retainers
skunk2 cams
skunk2 adjustable cam gears
port and polished head
ecu tuned on chrome pro
two chips installed
1. eliminating limiter
2. two step launch control program
hasport solid engine mounts
hytech header
2.5 inch tsudo catback exhaust (cat has been converted to stright pipe)

Odie

Is there a way to test for it? I would hate to get one and find out I still have the same issue. Or is this one of those parts the only way to test is to replace?

Odie
i know there is i just dont remember how lol, but i know its in here somewhere try the search button

My #1 guess is bad dizzy as well. You might want to check the simple things first. Could possibly be a loose ground. Check the one on the thermostat housing. Your valve cover gasket could be leaking oil down the spark plug tubes and fouling them up. Check for signs of oil on your plug wires.

I am thinking you guys are right with the dizzy, but I am having issues in my head not being able to discount the ECU. I wish I had a stock ECU for this engine. I dont really need the mods. with the weather warming up here in Michigan, I am itching to get on with swapping this motor into my other car but I want it running right before I do.

I will check the ground and the plugs, but I am not thinking that is it. Primarily because the point where it cuts out is exactly the same RPM. It is clear as a bell before 3700. It really acts like it is hitting a rev limiter of sorts. If I get a chance I will grab a Vid of it doing it during lunch.

Thanks all!

Odie

ok here is the vid
YouTube - limter

when I looked on the dizzy, I there wasnt a stamp telling what it was, there was a rubbed out sticker in the spot when it should be. I looked under and it wasnt there either. aftermarket maybe?

the "spare" engine I have has a td-86u dizzy on it with a poorly spliced odb1 connection. (I am googling the wiring diagram to splice it correctly as I don have the odb1/2 connectors to use the adapter that is on the car)

I could not find any grounding issues.

Odie

have you done a bsic fuel air and spark test? the dizzy has a a secondary coil that cannot be tested regularly. you need a scope tool for that. you also may have a low fuel pressure. check it with a fuel pressure gauge tester set.

The spark is fine, checked that right after I got the car. fuel pressure I havent. this is my first real dive into FI, but I know with the webers I had, low fuel pressure would have more of a random cut out then what I am getting.

Odie

there are two ignition coils. a primary and a secondary. unless you were checkin for spark with the plug out or a plug wire off while you were reving the engine to 4000 rpm you wont know if the secondary ignition coils working. i doubt you were reving your engine with a plug missing or disconnected. am i wrong?

Plug was in. Checked it with an inductive tester inline. Going to try to get a reading on the injectors tomorrow.

My mind is still thinking it is the modded ecu. I've been combing craigslist for a stock ecu, but not sure what kind I would need. I know the current one is odb1, but I am not sure if the dizzy is 1 or 2.

I really appreciate you guys helping a honda newbie like me out!

odie

^ that would be my guess, the two step chip might be freakin out and causing it to do that.

Does it only rev that high when you drive it? Or is it just the two step working like its suppose to??

You might have a aftermarket dizzy if it was a OBD2 B16A2 and was put in your EF b/c its OBD0 and needs a different dizzy.

Also....maybe you can look into a way to cut/disconnect the two step chip to check it.

First, brief history. This is my first honda. This is my first real experience with FI. The car this engine is slated for Is my X1/9 which I have run dual webers for over 20 years. My best bud is an ex Mechanic (arthritis issues made him retire 7 years ago) SOOOOO I am a pretty extreme honda NOOB (and expect to be treated as such) but have quite a bit of general mechanical knowledge.
I do believe the dizzy is after market mainly because there is no stamping that I can find, and the ECU is an ODB1 PR4 (according to the pinouts) So I don think the odb2 dizzy would work at all. Because I am a self proclaimed NOOB, I know nothing about how, where to check in the ECU for the mod/chipping. I will make a run today during lunch to talke a pic of the ECU opened up. There is also a pretty bad spaghetti mess near the ECU that I cant quite make sense of. During all this troubleshooting, I doing a bunch of cleaning out the wiring. Is there a place I can get a good wiring diagram? or should the car run (engine, I dont care about lights, wipers etc) if I just follow all the pinouts of the ECU to the proper sensors/places?

Thanks again!!

Odie

some pics

here are a few pics I got during lunch. they are of the ECU with the cover off, the label of the ECU, the ECU wiring mess, the engine, and the dizzy (to see if anyone can identify it.

ecuinside.jpg

eculabel.jpg

mess.jpg

engine.jpg

dizzy.jpg

Odie

thanks to a great guy in Michigan, We think we know what the issue is. It is the launch control. This trans has a cable VSS and there isnt a signal getting to the ecu. (speedo is doa as well) therefor we are thinking without knowing what the speed is, it never disengages the launch control!
I am waiting for the ECU burner to come in (this week I hope) and I will reburn a chip w/o the launch control on.

thanks Marcus!

Odie

FIXED!!!! it was the lack of VSS on the launch control. I burned a new chip, basic p30 and tested it and all is awesome. I still have to re-tune it properly, but the wide band tune can wait until after it is in the fiat x19.

Odie

Back