transmission fluid?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rowdyrivera

What transmission fluid do I put in my 99 si? Its a 5 speed manual transmission.

I use only Honda MTF. Its about $7/qt through the dealer. Sure you can use motor oil, spit, water... whatever else you like as well.

+1 for Honda MTF.. though i've heard their new formula isnt as great

I agree Brian honda mtf is the best but just expensive for us people that can't afford it I think Penzoil is the best for the cheaper route...

Penzoil synchroshit? It's $2 or $3 cheaper than MTF...

I've also used Brad Penn in my transmission, made it smoother but had trouble shifting at high (8500+) rpms

High end oil brand(their motor oil is very well regarded).

I agree the new MTF is pretty watery/thin; some people believe this is to help increase MPG figures in their newer cars. For me, it made my gears a little notchy. Avoid Royal Purple Synchromax(it's like the new Honda MTF with crappy cold performance).

GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh with friction modifier has been good for me; Amsoil too, but it cost much more(I paid 12.50/qt). Also, in my older cars, regular (Exxon)10w30 seemed to work better than the new Honda MTF.

Torco MTF is very good and if you can get it locally, it costs around $8.50/qt.

I still have some bottles of the new Honda MTF that I may experiment with(mixing with 30-weight oil).

Last edited:
wow half of them brands are not around here.. never heard of brad penn or torco??

They are high-end brands; many racers use them and they're usually stocked in shops, not stores.

Ok gotcha yeah there is only one real pro shop around my area.. but never seen them there, when I used to get my nos filled...

Back