Turbo Charged tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Why would the LS tranny be better, is it cause of the longer gear ratios that will let the turbo more time too spool and pull? Does anyone know of any websites where I can order trannies for a good price?

gsr transmission is better for boost. from my experiences an LS is just too long...and takes forever to make power.

what kind of transmission are you looking for?

i have a gsr transmission for sale...well its my dad's but he is entertaining offers right now.

its from a 97 gsr, had around 100k miles on it...shifted perfectly...no bad synchro's, was driven by some lady before she sold it to one of my neighbors, who ran the motor hot and sold it to me.

yeah, a tranny geared low with a slow turbo would take forever to build boost. Not that you would boost this car but for example: a customer had a vx hatch and had a shade tree replace his blown motor. He dropped in an si and took out the check engine light bulb. He comes in because it barely runs and after we got him the right ecu and wired everything, the thing took years to go through the rpm band. You could cruise on the hwy in 3rd. extreme example, but you get the point. It's why I think stock GS-T's are not too fun. Boggggg, boost-shift, bogggg.

Hmm... now i'm at an impass. I have an ls engine and tranny and plan on boosting it with a t3 60-1 which is kind of laggy compared to the t3/t4 that i was originally planning on. Think i should go for a gsr tranny? Thanks. :)

i disagree entirely.

IMO, the bigger the turbo, the more lag, the longer the tranny you want.
it sounds stupid- i dont know i dont have proof.

me, im going to run an LS.
I will also be running a t4 60-1 turbo though.

IMO, follow this chart for turbo.

small turbo- t3 or smaller, ITR tranny w/lsd
medisum - t3/t4 hybrids - gsr w/quaiffe lsd
large turbo - t4 and 60-1 series (t3 or t4) - ls w/ quaiffe LSD

notice no b16s. the differentials are physically smaller and are said to hold less power before breaking.

for your application of the t3 60-1, i say go ls with the lsd.
the 60-1 are bigger turbos.

But if you're turbo is larger and makes more power up-top, wouldn't you want a tranny that can keep you up there? :blink: But on the other hand an ls tranny would provide more gradual boost from the turbo for better drivability. Hmm, now i'm really confused. :lol:

There are a ton of factors. A matter of preference I guess. Small turbo/high gearing is realevent in a way too. A small turbo supports smaller horsepower, so why not get it there quick with the ITR, you won't have a ton of taction problems. Try having a bigturbo with well matched exhaust piping for mamimum spool up with a short gear ratio tranny and you will sit still while you turn your tires to liquid. A massive horsepower onslaught too quick is bad us FWD guys. How you are going to drive her will be the end result in your choice. Turbo lag is your friend in certain applications.

Originally posted by cws13@Jan 3 2003, 01:07 AM
Turbo lag is your friend in certain applications.

holy shit! SOMEONE fuinially agrees with me!!! :)

what do you think of my chart? would follow a similar guideline?

being that none of us have that kind of cash for traction enhancements-definately. It's the only affordable combat against physics we have at our disposal. P.S. to all: forgive my spelling on that last post- :blink: 2 mutch beer mak mee spel gud. :blink:

I agree that lag can be your friend as far as traction is concerned but it can also be the enemy a lot of the laggy setups I have seen (mostly single turbo supras) hit so hard when boost comes on that it causes traction problems, linear power would be ideal, for instance with an apexi avcr you can set the boost lower in the lower rpms and then gradually increase the boost through the rpms and even throught the gears. its a shame that the boost controll doesnt work worth a damn but it is a good idea none the less. :)

ahhh ic, ive searched ebay and ebaymotors for lsd trannies, and they r a lil hard to find, anyone kno of any good sources for lik a gsr lsd tran?

Originally posted by Integra1990@Jan 4 2003, 02:15 PM
ahhh ic, ive searched ebay and ebaymotors for lsd trannies, and they r a lil hard to find, anyone kno of any good sources for lik a gsr lsd tran?

just get a regular gsr tranny and buy an aftermarket LSD.

Back