turbo'ing vtec or non v

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raceinspiredrex

i hadn't really put a lot of thought into it, but i was curious about whether it's better to turbo a vtec or non vtec motor, more specifically the dirty d series. non vtec motors, the drivetrain basically stays the same. but with vtec, does anything differ once vtec cracks? i mean, i know how it all works, but what happens when it's turbo'd? can any of you guys give me some more information? i was going to post this in the turbo section but it wouldn't let me, it said i don't have sufficient privelages or something, lame! so yeah, lemme hear what you guys got. thanks

At the cross over fuel and timing maps are tweaked slightly, so from a tunability stand point a non-vtec is easier to tune.

can you use the same amount of boost on either? lets say compression is the same and everything. would you get more power from vtec or non v? thanks

great thread. i have always wondered this myself!

Asuming all varibles are the same, (turbo, compresion, ect), in theroy you would make more on a vtec motor, just for the simple fact that the vtec motors make a few more ponies than their non-vtec counter parts.

does the fact that vtec comes in give the engine more ability to breathe? or is it that vtec is like having an upgraded cam on a non v car? meaning the ramp rate and lift is higher correct?

Yes VTEC is another, larger, set of cam lobes which engage when VTEC engages. This allows the engine to breathe better, which in turn gives you more power.

so realistically, stage 3 cams or something of that sort would almost be like having vtec engaging all of the time? because it's a higher ramp and lift all of the time? idk, i'm just throwing this out here, i'm still fairly new to honda engines as i'm a american v8 guy. thanks guys

Correct, having a larger cam would be like have the motor locked in VTEC all the time.

i hadn't really put a lot of thought into it, but i was curious about whether it's better to turbo a vtec or non vtec motor, more specifically the dirty d series. non vtec motors, the drivetrain basically stays the same. but with vtec, does anything differ once vtec cracks? i mean, i know how it all works, but what happens when it's turbo'd? can any of you guys give me some more information? i was going to post this in the turbo section but it wouldn't let me, it said i don't have sufficient privelages or something, lame! so yeah, lemme hear what you guys got. thanks

dude that was an awesome question. i hadn't even thought about a non vtec possibly being more boost friendly... but your'e thinking outside the box bro. mad props to ya

I just bought a Garret T3 Turbo for my D16Z6 for a hundred bucks tonight. I'm listening everyone... What must be changed to run it? Swap head or boost it the way it is? I am wondering how reliable it would be also.

One of the biggest honda heads around here is buildin a 700+hp b18 and is going the non vtec way. He said that its better to keep it non vtec. I'll get some details tomorrow.

the reason i'm asking is because me and my buddy have the exact same car, besides his being yellow and mine being red. they're 88 crx si's with the a6. he's just throwing on a turbo while i'm doing an obd1 conversion and a mini me swap. eventually i'd like to try and go turbo, that's why i was asking because i hadn't ever thought about which would be better to turbo, v or non v

I dont know a whole lot about D series, but diggin through the threads here, and that link are good places to get info about em.

do ur research ive seen this same topic 3 or 4 times. its all in wat u want some say non vtec is better some say vtec is better its all in wat ur would like.

but that's why i'm asking. i've never had a boosted car so i have no idea the differences between turbo'd v and non v cars, therefore i have no idea which i prefer. i know people on here have a large variety of boosted cars and wanted to know about everything. it might've been asked several times but i didn't come up with a lot of information. it's all just a generic question that's asked in the middle of somebody else thread and is just off topic on that thread. i'm not looking to argue or have anybody tell me to search any further, i've searched so i'm asking here. thanks

Back