underdrive pulley

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by erikespo@Jul 6 2005, 12:42 PM
so heavier engine parts that have more enertial force are better for engines?
[post=521658]Quoted post[/post]​

It's not nearly that easy to explain. It is all relative in the design world, and there is no single answer to every design problem. An engine could be heavy and last a long time, or it could be light annd last a long time. Or it might just be a heavy or light POS. That is what separates the hondas from the fords :p

I like all brands of cars, just in case yoou thought I was hatin on fords. Every manufacturer has their bad and good designs.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Jul 6 2005, 12:46 PM-->
MikeBergy
@Jul 6 2005, 12:36 PM
the first and second modes of vibration might not be within the normal operating range of your engine, and in that case, you will have no more problems than you would with stock.  That is my point for most of these posts. There are lots of parameters that effect how well yoour engine will hold up. But to not have a damper, I'm just saying you will have no control over the vibrations. Chances are your engine will be fine. Judging from the fact you went to vishnu, you will be fine :)
Vishnu is the shit. As for everyone else, as long as the pullley is designed to put the vibes out of the normal operating range, you are golden. The problem comes from poor engineering, and that is probably what is causing this whole problem to be a problem in the first place. Someone like OBX probably came out with a pulley set, and it sucked. Things like that just happen sometimes. It may be that some of the pulleys still have enough weight to move the harmonic frequencies away from the operating range, but I am not sure. I do know that solid pulleys do not damp/absorp the vibes at all, so if you hit one of those harmonics often enough, beware.
[post=521650]Quoted post[/post]​

I think we need to extrapolate your post a little bit here to view the big picture. People have been, and will continue to, experience problems from a host of different mods to their car. Others won't experience any problems with the same mods. I think what we're really trying to say is, if you're going to mod your car, be ready for the problems associated with your dabbling. :) They can and WILL happen, even if you buy the best parts and have the best mechanics install them.
[post=521662]Quoted post[/post]​

EXACTLY> I couldn't have put it better myself. When you mod stuff to function other than as it was originally designed for, you are going to run into different issues, and it is case specific. You could build two engines with the exact same components, and tune them exactly the same, and give them to wtwo different drivers. One is going to break before the other, guaranteed; the parameters affecting engine life are endless, and sometimes completely random.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jul 5 2005, 09:06 AM
Bomz makes crap. If you're looking for an underdrive pulley (ESPECIALLY a crank pulley), spend the extra cash and get a quality one. It's not the best idea to replace these anyway, but if you're stuck on it, get something good.
[post=520736]Quoted post[/post]​

This was I think the best post of the thread, and accurately reflects my thoughts on the persons initial question.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jul 6 2005, 12:57 PM
This was I think the best post of the thread, and accurately reflects my thoughts on the persons initial question.
[post=521677]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks. :) Really, I got the pulley because that's how Vishnu sells their Stage 0 package. Truthfully, if I was really concerned, I could have removed the pulley when Shiv came out to Colorado to dyno-tune my car.

I don't think I'd trust even a sticker on my car that said "Bomz". That'll break your ride faster than even a crank pulley. :lol:

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Jul 6 2005, 01:05 PM-->
MikeBergy
@Jul 6 2005, 12:57 PM
[post=521677]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks. :) Really, I got the pulley because that's how Vishnu sells their Stage 0 package. Truthfully, if I was really concerned, I could have removed the pulley when Shiv came out to Colorado to dyno-tune my car.

I don't think I'd trust even a sticker on my car that said "Bomz". That'll break your ride faster than even a crank pulley. :lol:
[post=521681]Quoted post[/post]​

lol, true, true. To me, that's like buying OBX camshafts. Never gonna happen. I'd just as soon piss in my own gas tank.

Since day one of modding my car (or my house, or anything), I've learned one valuable lesson: You get what you pay for.

That's why most of the parts I've bought are either Vishnu or STi. :)

Mugen is not engineering, Mugen is the automotive equivalent of Gucci. Yeah, they make good products, but they are more fashion than function. And not to mention a complete waste of money unless you feel the urge to start an F1 or JGTC team. That is the only reason I'd ever go to mugen for anything. As useless to me as BOMZ. Now if it were free...

Go Rocket Motorsport Yea!!! (I'm his #1 fan :) )

I am 100% positive that the UR crank pulley was the source of my problem. The only thing that I was doing was giving the guy a heads up to what happened to me and from that and a few other experiences I know I would not waste my money to put an after market crank pulley or many of the other crap bolt on parts out there on my car to extract maybe 2 whp.

Originally posted by spydy43@Jul 6 2005, 01:28 PM
I am 100% positive that the UR crank pulley was the source of my problem. The only thing that I was doing was giving the guy a heads up to what happened to me and from that and a few other experiences I know I would not waste my money to put an after market crank pulley or many of the other crap bolt on parts out there on my car to extract maybe 2 whp.
[post=521700]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, at that point, why get an intake? That'll net you 2whp on a Honda if you're lucky. How about a catback exhaust? Same deal. On a Honda, most things short of a head rebuild, block rebuild, or forced induction will produce few noticeable gains, some potentially more harmful than others. You're taking as much of a chance with a crank pulley as you are with any other mods you perform to your car.

Your problems (possibly) associated with your crank pulley seem to be the exception rather than the norm. It's possible you reassembled things incorrectly, or you got a bad pulley, or one of the unexplainable things happened that seem to plague tuners like MikeBergy and I mentioned above.

Originally posted by spydy43@Jul 6 2005, 09:28 PM
[post=521700]Quoted post[/post]​

And how are you 100% sure? Did god tell you?

hand-of-god.jpg

:D

I thought it would be funnier to log in as God and post something to that effect, but I'm not an Uberator like B and Mike are. :)

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 6 2005, 01:57 PM
Even this from one of the sites you posted supports my thinking...
Many engines, including virtually all V8’s, V6’s and inline 6’s, use a device on the free end of the crankshaft to attenuate the amplitude of what could otherwise become destructive torsional oscillations of the crank. These end-to-end torsional vibrations of the crankshaft are caused by the alternating compression and combustion pulses described above. Without an appropriate absorber, V8 crankshaft life can be measured in minutes at full power.

Many of the automotive 4-cylinder engines don’t require such an absorber, primarily because of their inherently higher stiffness-to-mass ratios. However, several automotive manufacturers have initially omitted a torsional absorber from early engine runs, only to find that crankshaft life was unacceptably short. The Nissan folks discovered this with the early 240-Z engines, which didn’t have an absorber, and therefore lasted only about 100 hours in automotive (i.e. VERY LIGHT DUTY) service.

[post=521609]Quoted post[/post]​

i think you missed that...

Nope, I saw it, and since many cars run URs pulleys for periods well over 100 hours without dampeners it is irrelevent. :p

hand-of-god.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA

2ndly
I was interested in getting a crank pulley a few years ago but there was this big discussion with people saying not to get one because something about it messing up the crank. I heard people say that when you get a lightweight crank pulley that it messes up the balance and something about it not dampening right & then you have to get your bottomend balanced and its not worth it. Any of this true because my stocker has a big chip on the pulley and would like to upgrade as well.

Yup, this looks about right. This is the samething that happened last time. So, with all the information given...what would be a smart/safe upgrade for a crank pulley? :D

Back