Used (New to me) Car opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So now that I'm officially licensed as a CPA I've been debating a car upgrade.
Preowned X3 vs preowned CRV.

Open to opinions/options.

2015 crv with 16k miles will run me 21.5k before I beat them down with a cash offer.
2015 X3 with 40k is pulled 30G's.

In all likely hood I will stick with my 2003 crv with 122k and roll with it for another year or 2 and flip it at 150-160k.
My plan was always to get another BMW once I was licensed, but I'm not sure I'm about that life just yet.
I need to redo my bathroom, and possibly add a 2nd full bath and master bedroom upstairs in my house, which seem to be a better investment than a BMW.

Discuss.

My sensible side would say stick with the old crv and the home upgrades. My brother drives an 02 with almost 200k.

Next would be the newer crv. Not sure about the 15s but my mom has a 17. Not a fan of the interior or the CVT transmission but I know it'll run forever.

Then the BMW. Just can't justify the extra cash outlay.

Or keep what you have and buy something fun for the weekends if you really have to spend some money. I feel that way sometimes but sensibility always shows up before anything bad happens. At least so far.

if the old CRV is doing you well, why not work on the house instead? keep some danger cash incase the CRV ultimately "needs" to be traded in. pass on the BMW. have you looked at the santa fe? :)

I love the BMW. But it'll be spendy to maintain here and there. If you're ok with that, it's worth it.

I have not looked into the sante fe or the rogue.
In my experience neither Hyundai nor Nissan maintain their resale value as well as Honda or Toyota.

I hear the Mazdas are real nice and perhaps on par with BMW as far as the features and add-ons, but again, resale and what not.

I guess if I get serious about this I'll have to go put my ass in some seats.

I had a RAV4 loaner back in 2012. It was brand new, 33 miles, but sounded like a tin can when you shut the door.

i've never considered resale value as part of my purchase as i've planned to keep vehicles indefinitely. but different strokes.

Eh, I spent my 20's fucking with old shit.
No longer worth the headache.
Once I think the car might be unreliable, I get out of it and into something new.
I should have the same policy for women...

Know_261cc9_590599.jpg

keep the crv for the winter/hauling. get a fun car for the summer.

Not married. Engaged for 8-ish years? Not in any hurry on that one for sure.

I also have a 2003 Tacoma that is for hauling/winter.

My 2017 Tacoma is awesome. I was going to suggest some year of Toyota.

So to clarify, are you trying to figure out how you want to invest money or whether or not you want to buy a BMW? That sounds like the root of the issue here.

Some days I think about getting rid of my DD Civic for an old Tacoma. Finding one in as nice a condition as my Civic would be difficult though...

Back