Using Stock Muffler And Piping With B16,

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rsaeini

First off, I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct area so I apologize.
I have a 95 Civic EX coupe that I swapped a B16 into. I have an intake on it right now. My problem is, my Vtec isn't kicking the way it should. I can hear the switch to the vtec lobes but there is no pull, what I mean is you can't feel the vtec kicking in. Could it be that I am running my stock EX cat, piping and muffler???
I also have a chipped P28 ECU, it was chipped to work with a D16Z6, could that have anything to do with it???
i'm looking to buy a OBD1 P30 to replace the ECU with.

Also, on a side note. My car seems to top out at around 125mph, i mean i'm already in the red in 5th gear at that speed. Third gear will only pull till about 75-80mph before I have to shift to fourth, my D16 used to be able to old third until around 90-92mph. Could it be that the tranny has a higher final drive ratio. Could the tranny be from a non-Vtec motor?

Help me, my car is slow.

OK, my guess, which could be wrong since i'm not a vtec expert, would be that the ECU is why you're not feeling the vtec kick like you used too since it's for a SOHC engine adn the B16 is a DOHC engine. Normally exhaust systems add 10 HP so that wouldn't make a huge difference. Now the max speed thing, my guess would be that it is the tranny that's changing it. But as I said, I could be wrong. I've only been into sport compacts for a short period of time, but I've been working on domestic race cars (amatuer mini-stock, off road trucks, etc.) all my life.

EDIT: Also with the max speed, i'm sure your B16 has a higher redline than you're D16 so if you're judging off a OE tach, the redline wouldn't be the same. Although again, I'm not 100% positive on this.

Originally posted by rsaeini@Mar 25 2003, 07:58 PM
First off, I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct area so I apologize.
I have a 95 Civic EX coupe that I swapped a B16 into. I have an intake on it right now. My problem is, my Vtec isn't kicking the way it should. I can hear the switch to the vtec lobes but there is no pull, what I mean is you can't feel the vtec kicking in. Could it be that I am running my stock EX cat, piping and muffler???
I also have a chipped P28 ECU, it was chipped to work with a D16Z6, could that have anything to do with it???
i'm looking to buy a OBD1 P30 to replace the ECU with.

Also, on a side note. My car seems to top out at around 125mph, i mean i'm already in the red in 5th gear at that speed. Third gear will only pull till about 75-80mph before I have to shift to fourth, my D16 used to be able to old third until around 90-92mph. Could it be that the tranny has a higher final drive ratio. Could the tranny be from a non-Vtec motor?

Help me, my car is slow.

i dont see how the exhaust would affect the VTEC all too much but i think it might be the ECU... you might wanna get it re-chipped... since your in torrance go down to Erick Racing Engines he doesnt charge too much to re-chip any ECU

Im going to say change you ecu before you try anything else.

About the red line/top speed thing, are you remembering that the b16 has a red line of 8200 (some obd2's say 8000). Also, your ecu is not programed to run the dual stage VTEC of the DOHC, get that chipped. Your exhaust will not effect that much, you should still be able to feel the VTEC. It is always nice to upgrade your exhaust sooner or later but that is not as high on your to do list as the ECU.

rsaeini-

Your D16Z6 chipped ECU probably isn't supplying the right amount of fuel past the VTEC changeover. Chip it to B16A specs, then add a VAFC on top- or go with something like a Hondata to trim it up and you should be ok.

The transmission is affecting your top speed. The gearing is shorter than your D16's, so you'll run higher revs than you used to for the same speed. The VTEC transmissions are typically shorter (more rev happy) than the non-VTEC transmissions- you'll top out on revs per gear faster than you did before. If you had a B18 non-VTEC transmission in there, your top speed would probably be higher than before, not lower.

ByTheMoment13-

The stock tach is accurate for both the D and B series engines. It may not have the redline marked in right location for the B16, but it'll display the proper revs.

asmallsol-

The D16Z6 and the B16A have the exact same single stage VTEC operation. Only the JDM D15B has the dual stage VTEC system.

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Mar 25 2003, 05:16 PM
i dont see how the exhaust would affect the VTEC all too much but i think it might be the ECU... you might wanna get it re-chipped... since your in torrance go down to Erick Racing Engines he doesnt charge too much to re-chip any ECU

i think i'll go to Erick's since the ECU I have was chipped by him to begin with. but the question is: should I get the ECU re-chipped or buy a OBD1 P30 ECU?????

the reason I was questioning the exhaust was because the DOHC's generally have bigger piping, don't they? so I figured it might be causing too much back-pressure. I don't know, I was considering every possibility.

Originally posted by rsaeini+Mar 25 2003, 11:11 PM-->
2 litre EG
@Mar 25 2003, 05:16 PM

i think i'll go to Erick's since the ECU I have was chipped by him to begin with. but the question is: should I get the ECU re-chipped or buy a OBD1 P30 ECU?????

the reason I was questioning the exhaust was because the DOHC's generally have bigger piping, don't they? so I figured it might be causing too much back-pressure. I don't know, I was considering every possibility.

A little bit more restriction isn't going to make your engine feel like it has no balls... get the ECU chipped to DOHC specs, or you can buy the new one- it's up to you.

Normally exhaust systems add 10 HP so that wouldn't make a huge difference.

On a B16, thats a hell of an exhaust to net 10hp and your butt must be pretty numb to not feel a 10hp difference in a car that make 160 to start.

rsaeini - ask erick if he has any extra one's laying around already chipped... if he does he'll get rid of it pretty cheap im sure

i do not recommend ericks chippes the run cars lean yes they make power but only because he is leanning the cars out on top end so they feel fast but are actually slowly hurting the rings. i suggest sticking with the p28 ecu and running a dohc JUN program.

Originally posted by HOOKUPSPROCRX@Mar 26 2003, 11:59 AM
i do not recommend ericks chippes the run cars lean yes they make power but only because he is leanning the cars out on top end so they feel fast but are actually slowly hurting the rings. i suggest sticking with the p28 ecu and running a dohc JUN program.

shiet i wish Rich and Taren from RS told me that before i went over to Erick's lol

damn! :lol:

I read somewhere that the dual cam vtec motors did have a two stage vtec system, i'm probably wrong but check out this article at sort of hints at that. It sort of says that the Del Sol Vtecs do have a 2 stage like the VX models.

vtec explained article

Any thoughts.

Originally posted by HOOKUPSPROCRX@Mar 27 2003, 02:23 AM
you think tarren runs an ericks ecu?lol

no thats just where they told me to go when i got my motor done :p

now that im running hondata, who do you recommend to get it tuned?

Back