v tec refusing to work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jstanother1

Im having problems getting the vtec going, its a b16a2 its runs no problems aside from a few small vibrations due to an engine mounting. Ive tried running a live to the solenoid an this engages v tec alright but it wont do it through the ecu.Its running on a jdm p30 so it cant be oil pressure because there is no sensor on the solenoid.The clocks are working so the ecu must know what speed the car is doing.any ideas as to what else it could be.Im thinking of wiring the solenoid to a shift lamp if i cant get it going on its own but im not sure whether the ecu changes the fuel maps when vtec kicks in.anyone ever have this problem or anything like it.any thoughts?:confused:

Are you getting any CELs by any chance becuase some codes will make the ECU not engage VTEC. Oh, and the ECU does change the fuel maps when VTEC activates.

The engine managment light is on alright but i didnt check the cels yet. That would make sense as everything else is in order.will have a look tonight. nice 1.

Make sure you have enough oil in there as well. That will cause this.

its all good for oil jst tried cels there couldnt really make it out think there was a 23 there so disconected the knocksensor and still no v tec.will try running all wires again id nearly say it was tampered with at this point.

if your knocksensor isnt hooked up the vtec def wont work...is your O2 sensor hooked up...i had the same problem

no vtec

Im having problems getting the vtec going, its a b16a2 its runs no problems aside from a few small vibrations due to an engine mounting. Ive tried running a live to the solenoid an this engages v tec alright but it wont do it through the ecu.Its running on a jdm p30 so it cant be oil pressure because there is no sensor on the solenoid.The clocks are working so the ecu must know what speed the car is doing.any ideas as to what else it could be.Im thinking of wiring the solenoid to a shift lamp if i cant get it going on its own but im not sure whether the ecu changes the fuel maps when vtec kicks in.anyone ever have this problem or anything like it.any thoughts?:confused:
I'm new to honda's my 99 lude vtec wouldn't work. Id drive the car up to 6500 and the eng lite. Would come on. Did u clean the mesh grill inside the piece under the solenoid? Mines was pretty black and clogged. Use a whole can of brake cleaner to clean it. I did this and the vtec worked. Then the next day I put in synthetic oil and ngk plugs AND FLIPPED THE CAR OVER DOING 80MPH. I REALLY WANT TO TEST OUT THAT VTEC. SEARCH RONS. PRELUDE ON YOUTUBE TO SEE THE VIDEO. Your. Vtec on a b16 kicks in at 5500rpm I think. Don't rev the car past that for a long period of time or you'll blow the motor

ya the solenoid filters new ant the plunger is working fine. didnt check the 02 sensor will have a look at it tonight.Vtecs wired to the horn at the moment grand for straights but not a proper job.

have you hit the oil pan on anything. had the same problem with my car. smashed the oil pan on the rr tracks. ran fine and had enough oil pressure but when it came to vtec the pickup was closer to the pan and could not suck it up fast evought. and what were all the cels

no sump is fine in it think i might have found it the intake air tem on my buddys b16a2 has 2 wires i had to extend mine an there is only 1. jst spotted it last night didnt have a proper look yet. might jst be one of those stupid little things.

update. Just noticed my intake has no map sensor jst a tps sensor, i could have mistakin code 23 for the knock sensor for 13 map sensor.cant find any wires for it either.This is strange because i had the same harness on a b16a and never had any problems with it. any one got a clue?

Back