Valve Cover bolt down sequence

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jfields0622

Does anyone know the valve cover bolt down sequence, for the DOHC ZC (black top year 1991)

Hard to type out. there are 4 near the spark plugs (we'll call these inner set), 4 on the outer edges (outer set). "Top" meaning intake side, "Bottom" meaning exhaust side. These directions are assuming you are standing in front of the car looking at the motor.

1: Inner set, top right
2: Inner set, bottom right
3: Inner set, top left
4: Inner set, bottom left
5: outer set, top right
6: outer set, bottom right
7: outer set, top left
8: outer set, bottom left.

Get all the nuts finger tight, then torque to 86 inch pounds. DO NOT overtighten, it will only cause leaks.

Hard to type out. there are 4 near the spark plugs (we'll call these inner set), 4 on the outer edges (outer set). "Top" meaning intake side, "Bottom" meaning exhaust side. These directions are assuming you are standing in front of the car looking at the motor.

1: Inner set, top right
2: Inner set, bottom right
3: Inner set, top left
4: Inner set, bottom left
5: outer set, top right
6: outer set, bottom right
7: outer set, top left
8: outer set, bottom left.

Get all the nuts finger tight, then torque to 86 inch pounds. DO NOT overtighten, it will only cause leaks.

Good write up, but may I also suggest buying a Haynes manual. Very very helpful when it comes to bolt sequences.

Yea they're not like head bolts. a tightening "sequence" isn't really necessary. just snug em up and be done with it.

It is needed. You start from the outside and work your way in, it'll buckle the gasket in the middle and leak. This is the safest way to seal the gasket without pinching or buckling. They have bolt sequences for a reason.

Its just a common sense thing. Bolting it down right will help for leaks but its not like you'll screw anything up. Do as phy said if your worried.

Well for your 1.5/1.6 engines. I dont believe it really matters being theres only like 5 or 4 bolts. but for his ZC DOHC it will matter. being theres more bolts and such.

yeahh.. helms rocks.
i just wish i had a credit card so i could order one, cuz the one i have is on my computer.
ill never go back to chiltons or haynes again.

Back