Valve cover stud snapped!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I was tightening one of my valve cover nuts on my d15b7 and the stud/nut snapped off :doh: I just ordered the new stud from honda and now i am trying to figure out how involved it is to change the stud. It appeared to me at first that i can just take it right out but now it seems the i have to take off the whole rocker arm assembly off just to replace this damn stud, is this true? Anyone know what is involved in replacing this stud?? Thanks for any help.

It depends on where the stud is located.... but you can usually get the studs out without removing the rocker arms. If you broke it down low, you might be better off taking it all apart and reaming the leftover bolt until you can grip it with an extractor- you don't want to get metal shavings all over your valvetrain and then put it back together again. Take it apart, clean it up, then put it back together again.

Usually a stud will snap at the point of engagement or at the termination of the thread. Have you pulled the valve cover?

You might not be in much trouble at all. If there is enough thread showing. I like to get 2 jam nuts and lock them on the thread. Then just unscrew the stud.

If there is not enough thread showing but enough to get vise gripps on it thats simple too. If it is broke off flush, based on your post you are best off taking it to a machine show and let them do it. Last thing you want to do is jack your head.

Originally posted by abdelsol@May 31 2005, 09:53 PM
Usually a stud will snap at the point of engagement or at the termination of the thread. Have you pulled the valve cover?

You might not be in much trouble at all. If there is enough thread showing. I like to get 2 jam nuts and lock them on the thread. Then just unscrew the stud.

If there is not enough thread showing but enough to get vise gripps on it thats simple too. If it is broke off flush, based on your post you are best off taking it to a machine show and let them do it. Last thing you want to do is jack your head.
[post=505876]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes i have removed the valve cover. it broke off right where the threads for the valve cover nut start. I unscrewed the bolt completely but it wont "lift" out :angry: ?!? I dont understand why it wont come out, the new bolt has a smooth shank(i think thats what you call it) so its not like it increases in size. i am still stumped and i dont wanna have to remove the rock arm assembly if i dont have to. Thanks for any help!! Please help this is the only thing stoppong my turbo project to become complete. Oh yea and its the stud that is upfront by the oil cap.

Are you sure it is completely unscrewed? I have had screws fake me out and look like they are turning but they are not. It sounds like it isn't disenged completely.

Originally posted by abdelsol@Jun 1 2005, 08:17 PM
Are you sure it is completely unscrewed? I have had screws fake me out and look like they are turning but they are not. It sounds like it isn't disenged completely.
[post=506427]Quoted post[/post]​

That's what i thought too. but when i have it unscrewed it moves up and down freely as if it was completely unscrewed. should i forcec it out?? Is there any sort of retaining washer, spring, dowel, etc. holding it down there?

unscrew it and pull on it...
if its stuck then either pull harder or you're doing something wrong

you have a pic of this?
you have the valve cover off right?

I finally got it out! I didnt know, but you have to loosen/remove all the other rocker assembly bolts to get it out. Thanks for all your ideas and help!

I know this thread is dead now, but I have about 3 studs broken on my LS VC which is causing a vacuum leak and was wondering if anyone knew if the studs from a d15b7 would work? Appreciate any help.

I dont think they will work cuz they have different part numbers. but you can get them from a dealer for about $4 piece.

Back