Vibration in steering wheel- Subaru impreza

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

As of late, the car has been transmitting more and more vibration to the steering wheel. THere is also a noise that I believe is coming from the rear tires which I believe to be excess road noise. It gets louder with speed, but nothing else seems to effect it.

Back to the vibration though, of course there is some vibration all the time, which I assume to be due to slightly unbalanced tires. However, when you hit a bump this is an obscene amount of vibration passed through the steering wheel.

The tires on the car are crappy, but they still have tread left. However, I noticed that there is some radial dry rot type cracks, which makes me believe these tires are quite old.

Anyway old tires like that could cause the vibration? Or is it linking to ball joints or something? I don't even know what type of suspension a 99 impreza has?

Any help

The bumps causing increased vibration may be due to either a failing wheel bearing, or weak tie rods.

Quoted post[/post]]
The bumps causing increased vibration may be due to either a failing wheel bearing, or weak tie rods.

i had a good deal of that in the mirage until last weekend. i had a bent motor mount bolt and the rear mount was torn.

fixed it all for under 5 bucks, and a few hours of my time. :)

hockey pucks :mrgreen:

And now the car will just rattle itself to death at idle... :rollseyes:

although I doubt that tiny little 80hp weedwacker engine will make enough noise to rattle anything.... :mrgreen:

My solid motor mount.. just the one, did wonders to the ease of driving and clutching the Civic. At idle, however, it's an ... experience.

Back