Violence between repo men, car owners on the rise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

do you think they just send repo men out, just to send them out? if so you are wrong. Usually the repo man shows up to ''steal'' your car when its the last resort. non payment isnt the only reason. usually people dodge the phone calls, they hide the vehicles. Even though they cant make the payment alot of people still want to keep the car for nothing. sorry the bank doesnt want to hear your sob story.

the repo man shows up because all other attempts of collecting have failed. the cops have better things to do than REMIND you that you have failed to make payments and that this person is here to take your car. if a repo man showed up to my door and i know it was a matter of time i would let him take the car and then deal with whoever i have to to get it back if possible. if i cant then i suck it up and keep chuggin on with my life.

the bottom line is if they have paper work no matter what time it is tuff shit.

do you think they just send repo men out, just to send them out? if so you are wrong. Usually the repo man shows up to ''steal'' your car when its the last resort. non payment isnt the only reason. usually people dodge the phone calls, they hide the vehicles. Even though they cant make the payment alot of people still want to keep the car for nothing. sorry the bank doesnt want to hear your sob story.

the repo man shows up because all other attempts of collecting have failed. the cops have better things to do than REMIND you that you have failed to make payments and that this person is here to take your car. if a repo man showed up to my door and i know it was a matter of time i would let him take the car and then deal with whoever i have to to get it back if possible. if i cant then i suck it up and keep chuggin on with my life.

That's not always true, and I still wouldn't care if it were, it doesn't change the fact that if someone else were to do the same thing they would be thrown in jail for theft.

A few years ago a red civic(exactly the car I wanted at the time so say 2003) turned from the center lane into a shopping center. Only problem was my mom and I were in our Grand Marquis in the lane in between. It was a hot chick and her mom. Cops came, info exchanged, everything by the book.

We get a call about an hour later from the lady. Her insurance has lapsed, don't bother calling them, she'll pay our deductible out of pocket. Our car gets fixed, call the lady, here's the price, OK I'll get you the cash ASAP. Minus a few follow up calls and a sob story about family illness blah blah blah, my parents still have not gotten the money for the deductible. They got sucked in and I told them so. Saw the chick driving the Civic a few months later and it had been repaired(they said it hadn't).

Clearly this lady was willing to go to small claims court before she forked over the money. Get away with something for nothing.

We get a call about an hour later from the lady. Her insurance has lapsed, don't bother calling them, she'll pay our deductible out of pocket.

Should have called them anyway. Insurance companies are one of the biggest scams in history. My wife was backing out of our spot in our old apartments, and some twat doesn't even look back up, and into her. Any five year old could look at where our car got hit, and where the damage was on her car, and tell that clearly our car was 90% in the road, but yet both insurance companies decided they couldn't tell what happened, so niether had to pay out anything.

That's not always true, and I still wouldn't care if it were, it doesn't change the fact that if someone else were to do the same thing they would be thrown in jail for theft.

your comparison just amazes me. a thief is the same as repo men... i dont get it.

to me a theif is out to take your shit for himself for free.
repo man is worker doing their job.

i wouldnt try to charge the guy hitting the switch to an electric chair for murder just because he killed someone. the inmate commited a crime and the other guy is doing his job......bad example?:ph34r: yeahhhhh

i dont know man. I get you and i dont at the same time.

your comparison just amazes me. a thief is the same as repo men... i dont get it.

Loan someone something and then go try to "repo" it in the middle of the night, let me know how that works out for you.

I've never met any repossession agent who did not carry a firearm. I work as armed security here in VA, and I've met plenty of repossession agents, most of them have state of the art repossession trucks, that don't even require them to get out of the truck to tow the vehicle. Some of the residential properties that are covered in my roving patrol are so dangerous you would be crazy to not to crazy protection when trying to repossess anything.

I don't know how it works anywhere else, but here in VA a repossession agent is given proper authority granted by whatever county/counties his company works in to take back any asset owned by whatever company they do contract work for, if they have proper paperwork issued by a county judge for the repossession. Last time I check a stealing is taking something without permission... Repossession agents get permission.

I don't have to worry about a repo man, or anyone else coming to take my shit except thieves. My point is that in this day and age it is stupid to take someones car in the middle of the night, and even more stupid to do it without any law enforcement. IMO it should be illegal for anyone BUT a law enforcement agent to take property from someone.

If you loan someone money, and they don't pay you back on time, do you have hte right to break into their house and steal it back? No, as a matter of fact you go to jail for it. Which is where I think repo "persons" should be.

Repo men are hired by the banks or the lending institution that lent the person the money for the property. If the lendee isn't paying for the property, it legally belongs to the bank or lending institution. They have every right to come and take it back.

Whats next? you're going to tell me it should be illegal for banks to have people come evict you from your house because you're not paying your mortgage? Police aren't always called in that situation either.

Think about it this way, you lend your car to a friend for a week. After 3 weeks and many times of trying to call them they're avoiding you and keeping the car. You have every right to go and get it back, and you should be able to do so without fear of your life. Now apply this to the larger scheme of things and essentially that is a repo person.

techncially, the BANK owns it until you've paid for it and have gotten title.

they aren't stealing YOUR car. they are taking THEIR car that you didn't pay on back.

When they came to repo my Vega, it was funny. First off, they couldn't believe they came to repo a 1977 Chevy Vega.

It was in broad daylight, and the repo guy was cool with me. He said "You can hide it. You can block it. You can lock it up. I will take it. Do whatever you want, I'll get it" I laughed, and said "Don't worry, it'll be here". Walter and I moved it to the side of the yard, and put his Civic in the driveway. No one ever got it.

As far as repos are concerned, sometimes life has it so you have to lose something. It's called prioritization. no one will buy my Vega, and I'm not going to go hungry to make the payment. Sorry. Call me irresponsible, call me what you want. I'm not going to drop an electric bill payment for a car payment. Not going to happen.

Lastly, the repo show on TV is an act. You know how you can tell if something is an act ? Its ON TV.

Violence between repo men, car owners on the rise

things wrong here

1) don't repo a car in the middle of the night. night=stealing
2) if you are a repo guy, why do you carry a gun with you?
3) the guy was filing bankruptcy, there are legal ways to get the car
when did you lose complete touch with reality?
1. people don't find out there car is getting repo'ed when the repo people show up
they are already 3 months behind on payments and are given the opportunity to drop the car off to avoid the repo fee
plus all the other reasons already mentioned to repo at night

2. why wouldn't you carry a gun if you were a repo guy
if there's a chance the person you're repo'ing from will be armed you should be able to defend yourself
3. repo'ing IS a legal way to get the car back...

pay your fuckin bills, problem solved.

Word, live within your means. My wife and I own two cars which are 10 years old and paid for, and we made roughly 100K last year. Meanwhile my friend, his GF, and their two kids live with his dad and are months behind on their Lexus and Lincoln payments. Vehicles which they had to have because they were "cool"

Last edited:
sorry to break it to you, those aren't nice cars. all can be had for about $10k. he probably gets financed at 20%.

perhaps not nice to you (snob) but nicer than any car i have ever owned
( 98 v6 stang, 95 del sol, 01 civic, 84 samurai

but thanks anyway

Word, live within your means. My wife and I own two cars which are 10 years old and paid for, and we made roughly 100K last year. Meanwhile my friend, his GF, and their two kids live with his dad and are months behind on their Lexus and Lincoln payments. Vehicles which they had to have because they were "cool"

Sometimes it's hard to foresee when your means may change, so you can plenty well live within them until something happens. I don't know why people sit there and lecture everyone about this.

Sometimes it's hard to foresee when your means may change, so you can plenty well live within them until something happens. I don't know why people sit there and lecture everyone about this.

i definitly dont mean to lecture anyone. I just want to explain that shit happens,life goes on. and that goes for both the lenders and the people.

shit happens,you couldnt make the payments now you lost the car....er whatever.

also:shit happens, you lent someone money and they didnt pay, now you are out your money and interests.....go get the fucking car back and try to at least break even.

ohh and 92b16vx. funny story. I loaned a friend the last bit of savings AND everything in my pocket to get his motorless hatch out of the impound. He didnt pay me for a month. SOOOO i told him i need something worth that much. I told him i want his B16 head with cams and all on it. not really worth 300 hundred bucks but he was RESPONSIBLE enough to realize that it had to happen in order for me to get off his back.

B pretty much sumed it up. If the repo man comes to your house at ANY given time to pick up a car. they are not taking YOUR car away,they are taking it back to the owner.. the bank.

i'm just very thankful that i married someone who does everything possible to prevent this. If we know for a fact that we can pay it off in a month in any way shape or form then we buy it. If not then we wait.

I didn't mean you, Taco. I meant Silver and Turbo. Stating the obvious is kinda boring, but they just couldn't help themselves.

Back