Vtec wont engage, whats the deal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SpoonTuNed

I have a 97 gsr and i just put ctr cams in it and now its throwin a 22 vtec malfunction or something like that. Can this be because of a bad solenoid or pressure switch? I dont know what the deal is cause i tried puting vtec on a button and it still wouldn't engage but i can here the solenoid click. PLEASE HELP I WANT VTEC!!!!!!!

Originally posted by CoreyR@Sep 12 2005, 06:37 PM
low oil pressure could be a reason.
[post=553429]Quoted post[/post]​

what would cause that? the oil pump is pretty new and i think its good on oil, that would cause it to throw 22 and not the oil light?

im not sure, i think VTEC needs a certain amount of oil pressure to engage. the solenoid is not actually what activates VTEC oil pressure is what activates it.

the oil light comes on i think at like 7 psi. code 22 is for the oil pressure switch not the VTEC solenoid. check the wires on the oil pressure switch a quick search on H-T showed people having problems with the wires comming loose on the harness plug for the pressure swtich

Originally posted by SpoonTuNed@Sep 14 2005, 09:08 PM
would it matter if i dont have the plug fot intake air butterflies hooked up?
[post=554697]Quoted post[/post]​

no the IABs are completely seperate from VTEC

i dont know what the prob is then, sometimes it will hit and sometimes it wont, and when it wont it'll redline at 6700. hella wierd. im gonna try to ground out the press. switch to the block and if that wont work then i dont know.

alright thanks, the wiring is all stock though, its a gsr so nothing had to be pinned in. im gonna check it though.

Back