Wanting to get my first bike, seeking advice from the experienced.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The trick with statefarm is you have to have your car with them. At first they didn't insure bikes unless you had car insurance with them. Now they do insure bikes only but they give you normal insurance pricing for it.

When you add a car to the policy they give you a major discount its like 50-75% on the bike.

Call statefarm again and ask them if you insure your car with them what would it be for both the car and bike.

I currently have 4 cars and 1 bike, 2 with statefarm for the motorcycle insurance and 2 with progressive, if it wasn't for the motorcycle I'd drop statefarm since their car rates are a bit higher. VS progressive.

I rode with a guy on a brand new kawasaki 1000 one day. He said "If I knew you guys were going to be going on all this back roads shit, I wouldn't have come."

Nice.

So when are you coming down here on your bike so I can spank you on the back roads.

i had no dirt or street experience and started with a 1980 air cooled single yamaha 250, passed my test at 16 on that bike, then i went to a ninja 250, and then a ninja 600
the 250 has the fun of a moped, just at a much faster pace
same deal with the 500 i rode this summer
granted i was quite a few lbs lighter at 16 than i am now

Last edited:
Old I know, but did you ever get a bike Matt? I would definitely second the SV650. Super awesome powerband. It pulls all the same from the bottom as it does at 90mph. Tops out at 130ish. Suspension is a little soft. But it's fine for a first bike. Get a year of experience on a SV650, do a couple track days. Learn the limits of the bike and then upgrade to a I4 600CC. My SV650 is more than capable enough on the track, the only time I wish I had more power is when I'm getting blown past on the long straights... which is fine because I pass those same people back in the corners. Sooooo much fun!

Bringing this back, I am looking at an 04 SV with 9500 miles on it. Naked, one owner bike. Looks to be in good shape, I should be going to look at it this weekend.

My question is what is it worth? KBB says 2640 retail, he is asking 2995.

What do you guys think?

I've only checked kbb from my phone which doesn't allow me to enter the miles as far as I can see. It does say that the average/expected miles for the year is 18,500 - nearly twice what it has.

I did end up getting it! I'm down in Moscow Idaho, about an hour and a half south of Spokane

why change a good thing

suzuki-drz400sm-0262.jpg-117670d1288516631

306_0_1_2_620%20supermoto_Submitted%20by%20anonymous%20user..jpg

2001HondaXR650R6.jpg

husqvarna_sm610.jpg

YouTube - Supermoto Hooligans 3
This calss of bike is what I am considering. An old school dirt bike rider of many years myself. These bikes look great.

Back