weight distribution

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chb504

anyone roughly know the weight distribution of a 92-95 civic si???

TIA
danny

Originally posted by chb504@Aug 10 2005, 01:42 AM
anyone roughly know the weight distribution of a 92-95 civic si???

TIA
danny
[post=538216]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, it's roughly fucking terrible :D

I found an 88 dx hatch on google listed as "Weight distribution with driver (F/R): 63 / 37"

so it should be somewhat close to that, so yeah, its fucking terrible.

seeing tht the optimum weight distribution for a FWD car is 60/40 how the hell do you figure that 63/37 is "fucking terrible"

its not quite ideal but ts pretty fucking close

yeah i wouldnt say its not too bad...53/47 if i remember right for RWD...although everyone SWEARS 50/50 is better...

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Sep 8 2005, 01:44 AM
seeing tht the optimum weight distribution for a FWD car is 60/40 how the hell do you figure that 63/37 is "fucking terrible"

[post=551269]Quoted post[/post]​

I've always heared 50/50 was perfect. And it is for a RWD car.. never really thought of it in terms of fwd/rwd... what you say does make some sense, though.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Sep 8 2005, 01:44 AM

[post=551269]Quoted post[/post]​

50/50 weight distribution is considered perfect by automotive engineers. It's why the NSX handles so well, with the engine being roughly midship. Same thing with the RX-8. Ask Carroll Shelby what he thinks about a 50/50 weight distribution. Look him up. Think about why it would be ideal to have the weight perfectly distributed from the car front to back.

Unbalanced load to the front of the car, as is the case with these civics, gives you nose-heavy handling with a rear end so light it HOPS/LIFTS up off the ground during high speed cornering. Anyone who's taken their stock EG to 60 or more and gone around a curve has experienced this terrifying phenomenon.

Unbalanced load to the rear of the car gives you a bad propensity to swing the rear out during cornering. A little of this is fun in everyday driving in the right situation, but for racing, losing rear grip in a turn can be detrimental to your times, and can also potentially be deadly. You'll see this occasionally in bad pro-racing wrecks.

A perfect 50/50 weight distribution gives you lots more freedom when it comes to cornering at high speeds. Not as much fear about losing control of the car and dying. Kind of nice.

Some automotive manufacturers don't care much about this when engineering their performance cars. But you will find that those who are famous for their handling, i.e. Mazda, Porsche, even the Chevy Corvette, all focus on getting somewhere close to a 50/50 weight distribution. There's really no argument about this. If you don't want to take my word for it, just about every car magazine that reviews performance cars will mention the weight distribution, and if it is near perfect, or closer to the woeful 60/40 number, will make mention of that fact and note how it's effects are noticeable in the car's handling.

the 03 NSX has 42/58 f/r weight distribution
the 02 996 turbo has 38.5/61.5 f/r weight distribution
the 04 RX8 has 50/50 f/r weight distribution
the 03 350Z has 52/48 f/r weight distribution
the 01 ITR has 62/38 f/r weight distribution
the 05 Elise has 39/61 f/r weight distribution

And, when you accelerate...all that front weight just went to the back...so your 50/50 just turned into 46/54. Just thought id throw that out there.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Sep 9 2005, 07:41 AM
And, when you accelerate...all that front weight just went to the back...so your 50/50 just turned into 46/54. Just thought id throw that out there.
[post=551827]Quoted post[/post]​

Eh, when your standing on it. Generally your not standing on it through a turn when the 50/50 plays such a big role. Weight distrubution for straight line acceleration doesn't matter all that much, in fact if your RWD more the back will help your grip.

Well i know what ive driven, and if you are doing brake enduced drifts...50/50, aint as good either. In AutoX the same thing applies when you hit the brake into a corner...thats why the car flings out in the back cause all that weight just went to the front wheels.

The only steering problem I ever had was understeer. You couldn't get that bitch to oversteer. Even hard breaking and turning a 60mph corner..

Go figure.

**edit**

In my crx si.. thought I might mention that, lol...

I guess I should have no trouble getting the ass out in the Z then... with the 460 it will be close to 60/40 dist...

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 15 2005, 10:19 AM
I guess I should have no trouble getting the ass out in the Z then... with the 460 it will be close to 60/40 dist...
[post=554893]Quoted post[/post]​

What's the 460Z? You droppin a 4.6L V8 into an old nissan? Got any pics?

Back