Weird Noise Coming From Front Axle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

La_Pieuvre

hey guys,

I have a problem with my car, there's a weird noise coming from the driver's side (i think) front wheel. It sounds like a piece of metal is rubbing against a rotating part. Kind of like when you brakes are about to die, it scratches and grinds. It usually goes away after a few minutes, but it's annoying. Ths noise is somewhat light at first but gets louder when I start gaining speed. I've had this problem since the car was new but it's only done it about five times in the 74k miles I've had it, so I never really worried about it. But lately it's done it twice in the same day. The problem only comes up when I'm driving slowly (like after starting the car and driving in a parking lot)...I hope I wasn't too vague, but do any of you know what could cause this?

The brakes are new (~2k miles), new wheels/tires but it was even doing it with my stock combo

Thanks

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Feb 2 2003, 03:21 PM
sounds like your axle is goin out.

you think so? :huh: that's kind odd, the car's done for the first time it when it only had about 10k on it...

Most likely a warped rotor. I'm having the same from from a rear wheel. It's because the pads normally sits so close to the rotor when the brakes aren't being applied, that when the rotor warps a little bit, you get a squeeky noise not unlike the sound of brake pads dying. Does the noise become more frequent as you gain speed? Any problems with shuddering when braking at high speeds? If so, that's what I'd say the problem is.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 2 2003, 03:25 PM
Most likely a warped rotor. I'm having the same from from a rear wheel. It's because the pads normally sits so close to the rotor when the brakes aren't being applied, that when the rotor warps a little bit, you get a squeeky noise not unlike the sound of brake pads dying. Does the noise become more frequent as you gain speed? Any problems with shuddering when braking at high speeds? If so, that's what I'd say the problem is.

A warped rotor? maybe, but wouldn't I hear it more often though? It only happens about once a month (if not less frequently). As I gain speed the noise does get more frequent, but I can't feel any brade shuddering at high speeds.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 2 2003, 03:37 PM
If the noise only happens once a month, I wouldn't really worry. :)

yeah, I'm not worried about it, just can't figure out where it comes from :huh:

it sounds to me like you may have a wheel bearing problem. jack up your car and see if you can move the wheel making the noise if it can be moved from top to bottom you may have a bad bearing. also when its making the noise try turning the car in the direction of the noise, if the noise gets worse you may also be looking at a bearing.

Back