Went to change my spark plugs today...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigBoy

Well i couldnt get the plugs out but after pulling the socket up there was brown oil all over it. Im gonna be changing the valve cover gasket, but do i also need to clean out all the oil in the cylinders also? If so, waht is the best way?

When you get a valve cover gasket it will come with the spark plug hole seals.. Should go away when you replace those..

Good luck!

**edit**

The best way to get that oil out of there is to suck it out with a shopvac and a straw or small piece of tubing. A little bit of oil is ok.. ALOT of oil will murder your motor.

I had that problem once, I just took my plug out and let the oil go in teh combustion chamber overnight. started it up teh next day and let it burn teh oil off. Make sure you clean all teh surfaces for teh gaskets thoroughly before you ptu them on.

Unless the cylinders are completely filled with oil (I'm sure they're not), then just fire up the engine after you get the seals and plugs replaced. You'll smoke for a couple of minutes while the oil burns away, but that's about it.

as long as there is less oil than the volume of your combustion chamber. 1cc over and you could puke a rod.

leave the plugs out and spin the motor over with the starter...

do not under any circumstance look into the cylinder when attempting this operation...

rags will prevent your whole under hood area from getting oily...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 22 2005, 12:46 PM
leave the plugs out and spin the motor over with the starter...

do not under any circumstance look into the cylinder when attempting this operation...

rags will prevent your whole under hood area from getting oily...
[post=543562]Quoted post[/post]​

well, may prevent.. lol

If you go that route, unplug the distributor before you start cranking.. The last thing you need is oil and fuel being ignited from an arcing plug wire. You should unplug your injectors, too.. but that is a pain in the ass on obd0/1 injectors.

Back