What are the chances of passing emissions....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Without a catalytic converter? I ask because a week ago the catalyst material in mine cracked, which produced a horrible rattling from idle to 2000rpms. So I took it to the shop, busted out the material, and welded in a straight pipe end to end. I am coming back to Texas soon, and will have to pass before I can register it.

Also, anyone that installed a test pipe, did you experiance a much quieter vtec engagement? and quiter idle? My vtec is like butter now, and butt dyno says it flows a bit nicer up top, and idles sooo much quieter.

That's wierd.

Question #1 - no, you will not pass the visual. (no idea if you'll pass sniffer but probably not unless it's a BRAND new STOCK motor)

Question #2 - My buddy has an H22 swap in his accord and we took the cat off of that... Holy shit can you say 120 decibles? :lol: I find that odd that you think it is quieter. If anything it SHOULD be louder. More power is right, but the decibles should go up as well. :shrug2:

It will pass visual, from the outside you can't tell, it looks the same. We put the pipe inside the cat and welded it in.

I know what you mean about it being louder, but really, it's quiter at idle, and when I accelerate it is deeper, but instead of vtec having that snap, it is a more mild tone change. I'll make a littel video and post it.

BTW, the diameter of the pipe is > the collector and < the exhaust.

shit when i went for emissions they didnt even check to see if i had a cat, all they checked was the gas cap then put it on the dyno. no obd check, nothing. on my printout its on the paper but they just didnt check i guess they are lazy, lol. thats baltimore city though... no idea how it will be for you.

but on the thing about idles and sound, my car wasnt really that much louder either. its loud as fuck now though with no interior, lol, and yea my vtec seems smoother too. once i hit about 4000 its loud as fuck, then when vtec hits at 5300 i barely notice, lol.

What state do you live in ???? Taking out the honey comb in the cat will cause the emmisons not to pass. On cars that are 96 and newer they will usally plug them into the computer and just run the car. On anthing older they will run it on the dyno machine and put the plug in the exhaust and the computer wont read right and you wont pass. Thats why when the sell the test pipes and resiknators the usaully say for off road use only thats what you turned your cat into a test pipe. And now its not street leagal.

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS+May 28 2005, 02:54 PM-->
What state do you live in ????
[post=504652]Quoted post[/post]​

92b16vx Posted Yesterday
@ 11:27 PM
I am coming back to Texas soon

It's 95 so no plugin, it just has to pass the sniffer. I guess we'll see, it runs pretty clean so maybe it will pass. Anyway, I doubt the high flow cat I was using was much of a pollution deterent.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 27 2005, 04:27 PM-->
Without a catalytic converter? I ask because a week ago the catalyst material in mine cracked, which produced a horrible rattling from idle to 2000rpms. So I took it to the shop, busted out the material, and welded in a straight pipe end to end. I am coming back to Texas soon, and will have to pass before I can register it.

Also, anyone that installed a test pipe, did you experiance a much quieter vtec engagement? and quiter idle? My vtec is like butter now, and butt dyno says it flows a bit nicer up top, and idles sooo much quieter.
[post=504471]Quoted post[/post]​

That's weird. Mine always got louder with a test pipe. You can pass the sniffer without a catalytic converter if you tune the engine will enough. I have a buddy in Dallas that passed sniffer on a 95 DX hatch running a B16 swap with no car... pretty impressive if you ask me.

92b16vx
@May 28 2005, 12:32 PM
It's 95 so no plugin, it just has to pass the sniffer. I guess we'll see, it runs pretty clean so maybe it will pass. Anyway, I doubt the high flow cat I was using was much of a pollution deterent.
[post=504689]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think Austin is sniffing just yet. Only areas around Houston and Dallas are running sniffer tests- not the whole state.

Good news then :) Hopefully Corpus Christi isn't, that's where I will be headed when I get back.

Back