What Engine Is In An 88 Perlude Si?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the_hulkamaniac

Its sort of as simple as that I have a friend with one. The car is toast but we just put a new motor in it before it was smashed. All I know is its a 2.0L, could some one say the model code? Where do you read it on the engine?

Also is there a guide to what all of these engine codes mean (ie. b16 / h22)
I just want to learn where they came from and what there good for.

Thanks!

i think it has a B20A5

the code will be stamped on the engine... look for a flat square near the tranny

for info on engines click on the "reference" tab at the top of the page
then click on "engines"

According to Sport Compact Car ("The Ultimate Honda Engine Swap Guide"; December 2000) and Tuner's Alliance, the '88 Prelude Si has the B20A4 engine. Both of these sources are good starting points for learning about the various engines. I'm still doing research myself.

Originally posted by gwade1966@Jan 18 2003, 09:30 PM
According to Sport Compact Car ("The Ultimate Honda Engine Swap Guide"; December 2000) and Tuner's Alliance, the '88 Prelude Si has the B20A4 engine. Both of these sources are good starting points for learning about the various engines. I'm still doing research myself.

I do not believe there is a such thing as a B20A4. An 88 Si has the B20A5 which is rated at 135 hp and 127 ft. lbs. of torque. The plain S model has a B20A3 which is carburated and weak. Anyway, hope that helped.

I think there is an A4 in Europe, but I could be wrong. That car came with either an A5 or A3, which really doesn't matter anyway, because they are basically the same exact block. I am still trying to find out what the differences are.

The B20A4 is different from the other B20Z.....so becareful, you might just get messed up doing a B20 vtec conversion.

Back