What is wrong in this picture?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
DSCN0811.jpg

looks like 1 valve spring is tightened down more than the others.. other than that i dont see anything

Look at the valve spring on the right. The nut came off the rocker arm and fell into my engine. Lucky I was able to drop the oil pan, and there it was sitting at the bottom. The car had been at my parents house all winter, and this weekend two friends came to visit and drove it down for me. On friday they pulled into my garage, and the car was making an aweful top end noise.

Luckly everything's back together with no damage done. It sure did scare the hell out of me. I was furious because from the sound of the thing, it seemed like they money shifted the thing into the wrong gear, messing up the valvetrain.

Look at the valve spring on the right. The nut came off the rocker arm and fell into my engine. Lucky I was able to drop the oil pan, and there it was sitting at the bottom. The car had been at my parents house all winter, and this weekend two friends came to visit and drove it down for me. On friday they pulled into my garage, and the car was making an aweful top end noise.

Luckly everything's back together with no damage done. It sure did scare the hell out of me. I was furious because from the sound of the thing, it seemed like they money shifted the thing into the wrong gear, messing up the valvetrain.

i would think that they just started revving it up while it was still hella cold.

The same exact thing happened on my friends pit bike last week, it was ticking soooo bad, and the stud backed almost all the way out dont know how the valve was still even opening.

The reason it happened is because I don't have the special tool to do the valve lash. I use a 10mm box wrench I heated and bent and a screwdriver. It's impossible to torque the nuts down to spec that way. After that I'm going to pony up the dough for the tool Honda makes for it.

i got wicked lucky with the mirage then. i can just use a regular open end wrench since the valvetrain sits so high off the head.

Don't waste money on the SnapOn tool. Take a 10mm 3/8" deep socket and press it into a 5/8" wrench. All you need other than that is a long narrow flathead screwdriver. You can score all 3 of those for less than 10 bucks at Harbor Freight or somewhere like that. I've got one that I've used for almost 5 years now that works perfect. If you don't understand what I'm talking about doing, I'll take a pic of mine when I get to work tomorrow.

Don't waste money on the SnapOn tool. Take a 10mm 3/8" deep socket and press it into a 5/8" wrench. All you need other than that is a long narrow flathead screwdriver. You can score all 3 of those for less than 10 bucks at Harbor Freight or somewhere like that. I've got one that I've used for almost 5 years now that works perfect. If you don't understand what I'm talking about doing, I'll take a pic of mine when I get to work tomorrow.
Yes I want to see some pictures.

Yeah I'm in for pics too. What I've used is a bent 10mm flare wrench with a vice grip 90 deg. off the end as a handle. I then used another vice grip as a handle on a screwdriver so I had enough torque to keep the adjustment screw from turning.

There was a special tool I knew the mechanics used at the dealership I worked out. I am going in there I will ask where they got theirs because I know they did not pay over $100 for it.

Hey man dont blame me for fucking it up. Its not my fault. I didnt beat on it, its your crappy tightening job hahah I just drove it down.

Back