What Pistol to buy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah, I used to carry a G36, but for someone with big hands, the grip size wasn't cutting it. I sold it, but have yet to replace it.

Nothing at all wrong with being on that bandwagon. I carry my G26 daily.

glocks are excellent guns IF the grip angle works for you

they dont work for me :shrug2:

Personally, I like glocks. I guess they just fit in my hands pretty well. I love the g33.

Take everyones' advice, and handle as many as you possibly can. I liked the g33 simply because it's a nice subcompact, and with a good kevlar molded holster, it's an excelent concealment weapon. Lots of power too. I like the cinder-block smashing power. Some people say to stick to standard sizes to start out with.

Talk to your local PD, and ask some of the older veterans about their personal weapons. Also, see if they have any handgun training available to the general public; having the gun is one thing, but knowing how to use it is 3/4 of the battle.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your new toy (which will soon become more than one).

Don't get me wrong, I have shot several guns before including glocks, this was years ago when i took my gun course, i shot the basic .22, a glock(i think it was a 22), a berretta and a desert eagle( i didn't hit the black in the target once out of 5 shots)

I meant i never shot any of those guns before. My Buddy has the new S&W mp45, its his standard issue. Its nice but I really like the Kimbers. I don't really care for the the "square" looking guns.

I'll have to worry about it when I get my permit.

if you want a semi auto I'd go USP

if your just looking for self/home defense then try the judge

p1190842159.jpg

.45 or shotgun, you be the judge

If this is a gun for protection, who gives a rat's ass what it looks like? That's almost as retarded as the guy who said he wouldn't want to do a K20 swap because he doesn't like the way they look installed. It's a tool meant to injure, maim, and/or kill. Don't buy a gun based on looks. Buy it based on reliability, accuracy, and ergonomics. If you ever need to defend your life, you want something in your hand that you trust 100%. If you're walking around with a loaded gun, the last thing you want is the ability to cock the hammer accidentally. In many cases, you'll lose your carry permit if someone knows you're packing. Hearing a hammer cock or seeing an imprint both qualify for that. You're looking at the wrong things, man. You've got a lot of knowledgeable gun owners trying to give you advice and you're just brushing it off. Hell, some of those guys have even been in combat. I trust what they have to say about firearms and so should you. :)

I never said this gun was for personal protection, I'll be going out the range allot and maybe taking some advanced courses with some buddies of mine who are Hartford Cops. It's going to be more of a hobby type deal...

And that’s why i am going to go with the Kimber....They have been reliable since they have been around and even LAPD uses Kimber as a standard issue...I know allot of cops who have a Kimber pistol and they wish they could use it over there S&W MP45

.....And another thing...I certainly can base my decision on anything I want..since i will be dishing out the money...I've been reading allot and doing allot of research, i know what i am staying away from i.e. Taurus pistols...

You can have the best of both worlds of what you like and what is reliable and accurate.

So before you start calling people dumb, stupid etc...pay attention as reading is fundamental

u just nosedived ur thread. now it's going to go off into the weeds with some ego contest. and you might lose. :slap:

i need a :rest my case: icon. a judge with a white wig and a gavel. and swirling 'i'm here but not really' eyes.

:blah:

Calm down ego boy. I didn't say you were dumb. I said you were under informed and basing your decision on that. You haven't even held a gun yet and you think you already know what you want based on looks.

I'm very familiar with Kimber firearms because I've already held them in my hands and thrown some lead down range. You know what they still have? External hammers. And don't try to tell me about having what you like with the best of both worlds. That's why I own a Glock 26. It's comfortable for both me and my wife to hold, it's easily concealable, holds 10+1, and after several thousand rounds I trust it completely.

I grew up around guns and started shooting when I was 11. But hey, you just started your research so you probably know more than the guys in this topic who've been under-fire in combat situations, right? Right? n00b. No point in trying to help someone who refuses to listen. Buy what looks pretty to you, pay no attention to the important factors of choosing the correct weapon.

No you said

"That's almost as retarded as the guy who said he wouldn't want to do a K20 swap because he doesn't like the way they look installed."

Again I stated before, reading is fundemental...If you would have read first, commented later, you would have seen the first post of this 3rd page, I HAVE shot several guns before of all calibers....I was simply saying I never shot those particular ones i had listed..But i have shot several .45's before, .40s hell I've fired M4's and semi auto shotguns.

I know Glocks are reliable, they have been issued to law enforement around the country for yearsfor a reason...I don't like the style......its that simple...not sure how this is a problem...????

where do you find kimbers for that price? that cdp one you have on there goes for over 1000 where I am from.

If it's more for a range gun, than personally protection, I'd still sway away from a Kimber, personally because .45 cal range gun is kind of overkill. I'd get something chambered in .40 cal, simply because it has a nice punch, but not the booming recoil you get from a .45, its cheaper to buy, and it doesn't weight too much. My friend who is in law enforcement, has both a Glock 21 and 22, and if you lay each gun side to side with a loaded magazine in them, the weight difference and balance is huge. 1911's are HEAVY guns. Go with something polymer, .40 cal and from a major arms maker. I'm not trying to call you any names or face off, I just want to see you happy with a gun you can shoot all day long and not worry about jams, misfeeds and reliability problems. From what I've heard, the smaller 1911 variants have feed issues and generally need top grade ammo to cycle correctly.

Honestly, and without being condescending at all, my list reads like this. Forget the Kimber, and the Baby Deagle is out.
- Walther P99, .40 cal
-XD full-frame long barrel .40
-Glock 22, preferably with the hi-cap mags and night sights
-M&P40, with a trigger job to fix the heavy trigger effort
-USP full-frame .40cal (if you want a gun with an external hammer)

Trust me, E, and Blanco will agree with what I'm trying to tell you. Try all the guns out, ask around about reliability and do some research. Most if not all those guns can be found as standard carry by most branches of law enforcement, and for good reason.

You know what fuck it buy a Barret .50 cal. Nobody will wanna fuck with you when you got one strapped to your back.

Corvetteguy when you pick it up take some pictures. They are damn sexy guns I will give you that. Whatever you buy make sure it is something you want, regardless of what everyone else says.

A good friend of mine and I never see eye to eye on any caliber. We both love guns and own more than a few between us but it is always an issue when it comes to calibers. He likes the 5.56 I prefer the 6.5 Grendal or 6.8 SPC. He likes 9mm and 10mm I like the .45 A gun is a gun and as long as it does what you want it to do the rest is just window dressing.

Corvetteguy when you pick it up take some pictures. They are damn sexy guns I will give you that. Whatever you buy make sure it is something you want, regardless of what everyone else says.

A good friend of mine and I never see eye to eye on any caliber. We both love guns and own more than a few between us but it is always an issue when it comes to calibers. He likes the 5.56 I prefer the 6.5 Grendal or 6.8 SPC. He likes 9mm and 10mm I like the .45 A gun is a gun and as long as it does what you want it to do the rest is just window dressing.

:werd:

I plan on doing exactly that...

Just another solid reason i am going with the .45 is like i said, I will be getting free ammo police grade ;)....

Another point. I never said not to get a Kimber, I just said don't base your decision on a picture. I plan on getting one in the future, myself. But that's because I've shot a few and really liked them.

I'm not trying to argue with you dude, but starting out a paragraph calling someones choices retarded is not the best route to go to a nice conversation....

Back